Welcome! This interactive map is provided by the City of Boston to gather comments from the public about bicycle conditions. We are looking for information about the streets and routes you use, routes you believe are bicycle-friendly, or un-friendly, and areas where you think improvements are needed.
The map will be available through April 30, 2011. Comments will be gathered and used in the planning process that is underway to develop a Bicycle Network Plan for the City of Boston.
The process for using the map is described below. If you have questions, please contact Laurie Pessah at firstname.lastname@example.org or (617) 619-9980.
<B>To begin the process</B>
On the upper right hand corner, click on “login.”
<B>YOU CAN PARTICIPATE IN THREE WAYS:
1) You can add a marker to the map, assign it to a category, and make a comment about the issue or condition you are pointing out. Please read the explanations and examples for each type of marker provided further below.</B>
--Add markers by clicking on the "Add Marker" link at the top of the page and then clicking the appropriate location in the map. Please enter a short, descriptive title and select a category. Use the “Description” field to elaborate further on the nature of the issue addressed or improvement suggested.
<B>2) You can draw a line on the map to represent a route, and place one or more markers on it to provide a comment that explains what the line represents.</B>
--Add lines by clicking the “Start A Path” link at the top of the page and then clicking at successive points on the map to indicate the direction of the path. (Note: More than two points are required to make a curved path). Promote at least one of path’s end points to a marker by clicking on the end point and clicking “Promote to Marker” in the call-out box. Please enter a short, descriptive title and category. Use the “Description” field to elaborate.
<B>3) You can add a comment about a location that another person has already placed on the map.</B>
--Add comments by clicking on the “Add Comment” link provided at the bottom of the callout box for each marker. Please keep comments friendly and constructive.
Remember that you can use different map views by selecting "Map", "Satellite," or "Hybrid."
<B>PLEASE USE THE FOLLOWING MARKERS ON THE MAP:
1. A route that you use regularly or your favorite bicycling route. (Path & Marker)
2. Destination you bike to or would like to bike to. (Marker)
<B>Bicycle Un-friendly Conditions</B>
3. A difficult intersection to navigate (i.e. no curb ramps, long crossing, inadequate crossing time). (Marker)
4. Where dangerous drainage grates exist. (Marker)
5. Where you know a bicycle crash took place. (Marker)
6. An area that has poor pavement conditions for bicycling. (Marker)
7. Where you would ride if there were a bicycle facility (e.g. bike lane). (Path & Marker)
8. Where an improvement is needed to an existing bridge or a new bridge is needed. (Marker)
9. Bike parking is needed.(Marker)
10. A signal needs to be made sensitive to a bicycle (e.g. loop detector). (Marker)
11. A short path connection is needed (a cut-thru) to a shared path from an on-road facility. (Marker)
12. Better access by bicycle is needed to an MBTA station. (Marker)
13. Where there is a missing "link" or connection in the bike network. (Path & Marker)
14. Location where existing signage or striping in the road is confusing for bicyclists or motorists interacting with bicyclists. (Marker)
(just click on the map)