Search CommunityWalk:
Create_a_map_small
Mymaps_small



Blank

Baden Street Settlement House

Address:
152 Baden St
Rochester, NY 14605, US

Category: Organizations - historic

Used in the following map:

Rochester Labor History eMap

In the beginning of the 19th century new immigrants crowded into working-class neighborhoods and Rochester’s elite, concerned with the social impact of this development, established settlement houses to work with specific ethnic and religious groups. The Baden Street Settlement was established in 1901 to serve poor German and Polish Jews moving into the area just north of the New York Central Railroad tracks. The Lewis Street Settlement was founded at 120 Ontario Street in 1907 as the Practical Housekeeping Center to work with Italian immigrants moving into the German and Irish neighborhood just south of these tracks. (NB., the Lewis Street records are preserved in the University of Rochester’s Rare Books Library).
The mission of these institutions included “Americanizing” the immigrants through language and civics instruction, providing training in such work skills as sewing and cooking, assisting working mothers with nursery care, improving health through clinics and dispensaries, and providing social events, sports activities, and arts and crafts programs. The “Americanization” emphasis diminished after the 1930s and as black and later Hispanic families began moving into the neighborhoods in the 1950s, the settlements, including Genesee (1918), Charles Street (1920) and Montgomery (1951), focused their efforts on health and social programs.
The Jordan Health Center, established in 1968 as the Rochester Neighborhood Health Center (82 Holland Street), traces its roots to the Baden Street Settlement House, near which it first opened: today the Center, staffed by many members of SEIU 1199, offers comprehensive primary and preventive health care to Rochester’s poor.



Photos

Rpf00162