Search CommunityWalk:
Create_a_map_small
Mymaps_small



Blank

BIBBIONE S CASTLE hotel

Address:
Via Collina, 66
Loc. Montefiridolfi
Montefiridolfi Fi, Italy 50026, IT
Tel./Fax +39 055 8249231-Tel. +39 335 8106514

Category: Villa&Castle

Used in the following map:

ITALY

User Rating

http://www.castellodibibbione.com
E-mail: info@castellodibibbione.com
Erected by the Cadolingi of Montecascioli, the Castle of Bibbione is documented in the very ancient manuscripts from the year 997 by the name of Castrum Bibionis. Surrounded by city walls, which in the past served as a final defence for its inhabitants, the Castle dominates a medieval village and ancient houses dot the slope of the hill. Its lands extend to below the Via Cassia and the Pesa River.

The foundations of the Castle go back to the 9th century and the construction was completed in year 1000, while the first group of stone farmhouses dates back to the latter half of the 13th century.

In the Renaissance, the battlements were removed and the fortification was then transformed into a country residence. A particularity of the Castle is the underground passage which winds its way for hundreds of meters down to the river plain. This secret passage, certainly used for supplies during the sieges, has only been explored in its first section.

In 1124, the new owners of the land, the Buondelmonti, restored the old ruined sentinel. Thus, Bibbione became one of the four Buondelmonti Castles, connected one to the other and constituting a quadrilateral in defence of the Pesa Valley: the Bibbione Castle, the Montefiridolfi Castle, the Pergolato and the S. Andrea ones at Fabbrica.
Moreover, the Buondelmonti family had a small church, Santa Maria, built between the 12th and the 13th centuries next to the walls of the Castle. In the year 1142, they began the reconstruction of the shelter of San Jacopo of the Calzaiuoli for the pilgrims.

In 1469, the property was sold to Guido Sforza Aldobrandeschi.

In the year 1511, Niccolò Machiavelli (who possessed family estates about 6 km, from Bibbione in Sant’Andrea in Percussina) bought the Castle and the farmland using it as a hunting lodge.
The Machiavelli’s remained in possession of the complex until 1727, when the last heir, Francesco Machiavelli, died leaving his cousin, Giovanni Battista Rangoni, a Modenese noble descendent of the Machiavelli, heir to the name and inheritance, title and heraldic arms of Machiavelli who took on the name of Rangoni Machiavelli.

The entire complex remains bound from 1913, and therefore, under the tutorship of the Superintendent of Culture, Environment and Architecture of Florence and Pistoia.
At present, the Marchioness Antonella Rangoni Machiavelli is the proprietor of the estate and personally saw to the renovation of the Castle and medieval village



Photos

129730_s 129731_s 129729_s 129728_s