The original Cook County Courthouse, where the Haymarket Eight were tried and convicted, was torn down in 1892. The trial began on June 21, 1886; two months and 981 witnesses later, Judge Joseph E. Gary sentenced seven of the eight to death by hanging. Oscar Neebe received fifteen years of hard labor in Joliet Prison. The Haymarket Eight were held in the Cook County Jail on the southwest corner of Illinois and Dearborn Streets. Before the jail was torn down in 1929, it also held Eugene V. Debbs when he was arrested during the 1894 Pullman Strike, and "Big Bill" Heywood was here for six months in 1917-18 after the Palmer Raids. In 1886, the alley between the Courthouse and the Jail was a courtyard. The city erected the gallows in this courtyard and, at about 11:30 AM on November 11, 1887, hanged George Engel, Aldolph Fischer, Albert Parsons, and August Spies.