Search CommunityWalk:
Create_a_map_small
Explore_small
Tutorials_small
Mymaps_small

Blank

Former Haines Normal and Industrial Institute and Gravesite of Educator Lucy Craft Laney

Address:
1339 Laney Walker Blvd
Richmond County, GA 30901, US

Category: Trolley Tour

Used in the following map:

Augusta Black Heritage Trolley Tour

Established by influential educator Lucy Craft Laney, the Haines Normal and Industrial Institute was chartered in 1886 and grew to include a Kindergarten to Junior College curriculum, the Lamar School of Nursing, and a teacher training program. Named for a benefactor Francine Haines, the Institute also served the African-American community as cultural center before its replacement in 1949 with the present Laney High School. The Cauley-Wheeler Building (1924), located in the center of campus, housed the primary school and was named for philanthropist Alice Wheeler of New York and her nurse Mary Cauley, a Lamar graduate. It is the last remaining building from the original Haines Campus.



Photos

917078_s 917079_s