Pullman demanded 6% profits, even from the only religious building in Pullman and even during the depression of 1893. Rev. E. C. Oggel praised George Pullman from the pulpit during the 1894 strike. Much of the disgusted congregation left the church, while Oggel left Pullman, never to return. It has been home to the Pullman United Methodist Church since 1907, when the government forced the company to sell its town property, and the former congregation of pro-labor Rev. William H. Carwardine, author of a famous history of the Pullman strike, purchased the building.