Search CommunityWalk:
Create_a_map_small
Mymaps_small



Blank

Grinzane Cavour castle- restaurant

Address:
via castello 5
Grinzane, Italy/piemonte
Phone:0173262159

Category: Villa&Castle

Used in the following map:

ITALY

http://www.grinzane-cavour.it
enotecavour@libero.it
A square, medieval building with corner towers.
It was erected in the first half of the 13th century and extended in the 17th century.
Camillo Cavour made his home here from 1832 until 1849.



The rooms house period furnishings and Cavour's antiques.

This elegant and magnificent castle is one of the oldest and most important of the Langhe.

A splendid lookout dominates the vineyards that extend for as far as the eye can see.



The castle houses the "Cavour" regional wine collection.
The provincial road that from Alba leads to Barolo, along which are the first houses of Gallo Grinzane, goes along ancient routes. At least since the Roman period a network of small roads and paths probably linked the road running along the river Tanaro to the various villages lying along the ridges of Alta Langa (High Langa, i.e. the higher part of the Langhe area) or on the top of the lower hills.

Within the territory of Alba, the river separates the marly hills of the Langhe from the sandy ones of the Roero area. Along the river Tanaro, the Pollenzo-Asti road _ part of the Roman Fulvian Way _ linked up the western Piedmontese plain (where Pollenzo can be said to be its gateway) to Asti, the ancient village of Forum Fulvii, and its surrounding plain.

The road following the course of the river Tanaro and leading to Asti long kept its role of an important trade route, towards both east and west, since it was the route on which the roads coming down the hills converged to bring products from Alta Langa or coming from beyond the Apennines.

Especially during the last two centuries the roads at the bottom of the valley, near the basin of the river, have seen the establishment and development of artisanal and manufacturing business around which new settlements sometimes have risen.

The area of the municipality of Grinzane Cavour and Gallo Grinzane, with its castle, its rural settlements and the pattern of its cultivation is a good example of what are the features that can turn the territory of Langa into a “landscape”.

The main features of this landscape are the alternation of hills planted with vines and sown fields or poplar groves, old farms whose names often reveal some connection with the city (the vineyard meant as a country residence), their contending with fortresses and castles for the top of a hill, and the burgs risen around the castles.

Beside this structure, with its activities and roads (induced by the disposition of the hills), a particular sort of landscape has taken shape slowly during the time, destined to be the scene of the rural life as well as of the artistic, literary, and architectural creation.

The environment in which Gallo Grinzane is rooted suggests values connected to rural materiality (as hard work and the tireless application of one’s own strength and mind), the uneven cycle of seasons, and the slow forming of the territory through cultivation.

However during the time that same environment has become also an image that has been depicted by exploring photographers, poetically evoked and narrated by writers, portrayed by painters and praised (sometimes too concisely though) by admiring tour operators.

What turns a geographical area into a “landscape” is just its rising to a mythical place, its power of entering the imagination of the people who live there as well as of those who visit it, its complex developing into “culture”, in accordance with a recent tendency which sets value on the so-called “cultural landscapes”, even and especially within the European Community.






Photos

68989_l