Search CommunityWalk:
Create_a_map_small
Mymaps_small



Blank

Parkway Community House

Category: Community

Used in the following map:

Labor Trail

Originally called the Good Shepherd Community Center, in 1941 the community center broke away from the Good Shepherd Church and changed its name to the Parkway Community House in 1941. Under the direction of prominent black sociologist Horace Cayton from 1941 to 1947, the Parkway Community House functioned as a vital community institution where working-class blacks mingled with prominent African American artists and academics. PCH staff operated a mother's clinic, nursery school, relief office, selective service office, the Henry George School of Social Service, and a servicemen's center.



Photos

23478_s