Search CommunityWalk:
Create_a_map_small
Mymaps_small



Blank

Rovere's Palace

Category: Sightseeing

Used in the following map:

ITALY

The Renaissance in Savona is distinguished by the singular and significant presence of two popes from the della Rovere family, Sixtus IV and Julius II, who opened the city up to new influences, breaking the cultural stranglehold that Lombardy had previously exercised over the whole of Liguria. This change is exemplified by the Palazzo della Rovere, on which work began in 1495 to the design of Giuliano da Sangallo (1443-1516). The construction was carried out under the direct supervision of the architect, who showed himself capable of transforming the geometric rigor of Brunelleschi?s vision of space into a refined and elegant style. Though profoundly modified on the inside and damaged by the war and some recent, incongruous functional adaptations, the Palazzo della Rovere still clearly displays the typical layout of Tuscan fifteenth-century architecture, with an L-shaped inner court partly lined with porticoes. The beautiful façade on Via Pia (left unfinished) has several orders of marble pilaster strips that create a delicate two-color pattern against the walls of gray stone.



Photos

588118_s