On this site stood one of the early landmarks of Brookline, the Punch Bowl Tavern. In fact, it was so well known that many people in the 18th and early 19th centuries referred to Brookline simply as the “Punch Bowl Village.”
Built around 1730 on the Old Sherburne Road that led from here along today’s Walnut and Heath Streets to the west, the Punch Bowl Tavern was the center of Village life. It became even more so after the opening of the Worcester Turnpike, more or less today’s Route 9, in 1806, when the tavern became a popular stop on the stagecoach route to and from Boston.
The Punch Bowl Tavern was torn down in 1833. Some of the houses on White Place, just across Washington Street from here, were built using timbers from the old Punch Bowl Tavern.