The Kelley House opened for business in 1742, 100 years after the first European settlement in Martha's Vineyard. Originally a tavern, the establishment served as a gathering place for the growing community of Edgartown. Through the Revolutionary War and the prosperous whaling era, the Kelley House flourished, offering generations of weary sailors a respite from the rigors of life at sea.
Completely renovated in early 2000, the Inn brings back the era when whaling captains preferred their surroundings to reflect their life at sea, even when on dry land. Maritime artifacts and artwork add decorative touches to the warm, home-life atmosphere of the main lobby. Ideally located near the waterfront in downtown Edgartown, the Kelley House welcomes guests May through October.