Stourton is part of the Stourhead estate, now in the ownership of the National Trust. There are a number of listed buildings here.
The Church of England parish church of Saint Peter contains family monuments of the Hoare family, owners of the estate. The architect and mason Nathaniel Ireson was churchwarden in the 1720s and may have done work on the church himself. The antiquarian William Coxe was rector from 1801 to 1811.
The Bristol High Cross, which originally stood at the junction of the High Street and Broad Street in that city. It was sold as a public nuisance and re-erected at Stourhead in the 1760s. View of the main lake in the background.
The Spread Eagle at Stourton. We stopped here and had coffee from the small cafe and took advantage of the toilets. We 'lost' Nicola to the book fair!
Stourhead Circular November 2010
This circular walk follows a route around the National Trust's Stourhead Estate. The great gardens of Stourhead were created in the 18th century by Henry Hoare, of the wealthy banking family. The walk takes in a variety of different landscapes.