Bar Harbor Congregational Church
The Bar Harbor Congregational Church was established on May 20, 1883. The congregation met in the Union Meeting House or "White Church" as it was commonly called. The Town of Eden was incorporated in 1796 and renamed later to the Town of Bar Harbor. A schoolhouse was erected in the village of Bar Harbor about 1820 that was also used by the settlers as a place of worship. When a new schoolhouse was built in 1853, the old schoolhouse was razed and the Union Meeting House was built in its place. All religious denominations used the Union Meeting House until about 1870 when the population of the village of Bar Harbor grew enough to support separate churches. The Congregationalists acquired title to the Union Meeting House and built a granite church on the site in 1888-1889. This church burned in 1942 and was replaced on November 7, 1951 by the present structure that was designed to be similar to the old White Church.
29 Mt Desert St
Acadia Vacation Planner - MASTER
This is a compilation of all the maps, markers and information. It includes the restaurants, shops, hikes & trails, transportation, entertainment, activities, general points of interest, etc.