Lim Tua Tow Market
Lim Tua Tow Market was a famous wet market and hawker place in the 1950s and 1960s famed for its food. The road was named after a clever and wealthy Hokkien Landowner.
His son was Lim Teck Chye, probably a descendent of Lim Tua Tow, who was the Secretary of the Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Legislative Commisioner, 1919.
The market was demolished in the 1980s. The row of shophouses that face the market still exists mainly eateries along Teck Chye Terrace
Sing Hua School
Sing Hua School or Xing hua School was founded by Mr Chua Cheok Sar in 1930. It started as a small wood-and-thatch building with a handful of pupils. During World War II, the school was converted into a barracks for Japanese soldiers.
After the war, the school was turned into a soap factory, but with the support of sponsors, Mr Chua rented four classrooms from the factory in 1946.
Sing Hua became an aided school in 1957 with an enrolment of more than 500 pupils.
In 1964, funds were raised for a new building. The foundation stone was laid in 1971 and in 1976, the school was officially declared open by Mr Sia Kah Hui, then Minister of Labour. It became a government school in 1983 and relocated to Hougang Avenue 1 on 17 December 1984.
The school building has since been torn down
Paya Lebar Outpatient Dispensary
The Outdoor Dispensary, Paya Lebar, was the first of the ﬁve projected rural dispensaries to be completed, and was opened on 8th November, 1922, with Assistant Surgeon NN Mitra incharge.It was an instant success with 533 patients being seen in the the 7 weeks examination.
Paye Lebar Police Station
Paya Lebar Police Station was once the HQ for 'F' Division of the Singapore Police Force. The police station was vacated in the 1980s to make way for a Civil Defence Station which was also later relinquised. A private school today sits on it's site. The front office was demolished in the 1980s but the police barracks still exist to house international students.
Teo Way Yong and Sons Bungalow
Teo Way Yong and Sons (Teo Sze Siong) was a company that reared fish. Today, Teo Way Yong & Sons (Pte) Ltd continues in the aquatic industry importing and exporting fish, as well as fish vaccines. They are today located at 11 Seletar West Farmway 3, (S)798078.
Bungalow with grand steeple
397 Upper Paya Lebar Road. The house was a site to behold with it's grand steeple that were almost two to three storeys high. By the late 1970s, it was rusted brown and decaying and children in the area dubbed it the haunted house. Today, condomiums take the place of it's large grounds.
Shophouses opposite Lim Tua Tow Market
The row of shophouses across the street from LTT market. There were jewellery shops, electrical shops and also food stalls across the street in the 1970s and early 1980s. The buildings date back to 1929 and there was a place we called 'The Bar'....only thing is, it was really a place that sold cooked food (zhi char) in the evening with old folks having a stout or beer in the evenings. It had swivel doors with the word 'Bar' across it with tin spitoons that date back from a previous era.
1929 Coffee Shop
The coffee shop was at the start of a row of shophouses along Upper Serangoon road. Built in 1929, it was distinct for it's triangular structure and the way it sat across the junction. The coffee shop was across the street from the Upper Paya Lebar police station. The place was demolished to make way for road expansion.
Pedestrian Overhead Bridge
The Overhead Pedestrial Bridge connected Lim Tua Tow Market with the shophoues from across the street. It was demolished to make way for the fly over that stands there today.
Provision Shop at Kampong Sireh
One of the last buildings torn down in the 1980s. It was a kampong house with a thatched roof that made way for a terrace house.
St Gabriels' Primary School
2, Highland Road
St Gabriel's Primary was built as a seperate premise in 1969. The entire primary section (once just 3 Primary School classes in 1953) along Upper Serangoon Road had grown to 31 classes moved to their new premises at 2 Highland Road.
The Singapore Pastoral Institute moved in when St Gabriel's Primary was relocated to new present site at Lorong Chuan in 1988.
Kong Yiong High School
Kong Yiong High School was started as a school offering Chinese education on 25 February 1918. Office. It was moved several times until it finally settled at 993B Kovan Road in 1930 where it remained until November 1992.
In 1984, the secondary school branch and the primary school branch were separated. The primary school branch was converted into a government school and in 1986, the secondary school shut down due to declining enrolment.
In 1988, the primary school adopted the "hanyu pinyin" variant and called itself Guangyang Primary School and relocated to its new premise in Ang Mo Kio. The secondary school moved to Bishan.
Today, Pertapis Children's Home sits on the current site of Kong Yiong High School.
In 1986, due to a sharp drop in school enrolment, Kiong Yong High School closed.
In 1987, the School Advisory Committee of Kiong Yong High School left a sum of about $60,000 which was to be given to a school that adopted its name. When a new school was set up in Bishan, it was decided that the old dialect name "Kong Yong" be used. Hence, the new school came to be known as "Guangyang" which is the hanyu pinyin equivalent of "Kong Yong". Thus, Guangyang, hanyu pinyin equivalent of "Kiong Yong" a government English medium school, was set up. In its early months, Guangyang Secondary shared the premises of Zhonghua Secondary School.
Pertapis Children's Home
Shophouses outside Mercury Cinema
The row of shophouses outside Mercury Cinema featured tailors, fruit, durian and electrical shops, a mama shop and a coffee shop with the following foold stalls:
a) Rahim's mee soto/satay (now at the Y2K coffee shop)
b) Chicken Rice
c) Prata/ Tosai
Bright Cinema 1954 - 1976
This cinema was across the street from Tai Seng lane (then a rough neighbourhood) near Irving Street was Bright Cinema. It existed from 1954 to 1976 before making way to the Irving Industrial Building.
Records are available from the Singapore National Archives:
Creating Agency: Registry of Businesses
Series Title: Defunct Business Files
File Reference Number: 25904
File Title: BRIGHT CINEMA
Covering Period: 1954 - 1976
Microfilm Number: ROB 203
The cinema was located across the street from Daily Bookstore. It burnt down in the 1980s and was replaced with a row of shophouses/houses where Peng's Restaurant was at for a time.
The shophouses/houses have since been torn down and is today part of Kovan Melody condominiums.
Mercury Cinema that featured tickets at $1.50 to $2.00 in the 1970s. The backlane also had night stalls selling porridge, satay, chicken wings in the evenings.
Kok Wah (国华）Cinema
Kok Wah Cinema had nearby 'tikam' stores, aquariums and food stalls selling noodles, laksa, Chinese desserts and Yong Tau Fu.
It was demolished in the 1990s to make way for Highland Centre.
St Gabriel's Secondary School
795 Upper Serangoon Road
St. Gabriel's School was set up on 3 June 1953 with a 212 students in five classes from Primary One to Standard Two. Rev Brother Louis Gonzaga was the founder and first principal of the school. It became a full school in 1959.
The school relocated to Serangoon Ave 1 in 1992.
For a time, Chartwell School occupied the premise. And later Girls Brigade Centre.
Provision stores at junction of Wolskel Road
Junction of Wolskel Road had a provision shop and a row of shophouses.
The stretch of houses from Wolskel Road to Mondo Mansion to Yardley Court. Along the way was an ashram advertising meditation and yoga in the evenings.
Shophouses from Sunshine Terrace to Bartley Road
The shophouses from Sunshine Terrace down to Barley Road included coffee shops, electrical shops, automobile repair shops and a coffin shop that still exists today.
Tua Peh Kong temple
There was a small Tua Peh Kong Chinese temple that was demolished in the 1980s. There is still an altar with offerings made near the trees found in the area.
Row of shophouses from Singapore Crocodile Farm
The row of three story shophouses from the Singapore Crocodile Farm featured Country Clinic, a bakery and a bus stand.
Youngberg Memorial Hospital
Youngberg Memorial Hospital was first opened in May, 1948 as a two-story house bought and renovated with funds from Church funds from the 7th Day Adventist group. It had 20 beds but was later expanded and opened as a larger hospital on April 24, 1952.
It was named in memory of G.B. Youngberg, a former misiosionary inn the Malayan Union, who was interned during the war and died at Kuching, Sarawak.
It was vacated in the 1990s and taken over by the Salvation Army.
Government Printing Press
The Government Printing Press Office was built in 1976. It printed Govt gazettes, reports and parliamentary papers. The place has since been demolished.
7th Day Adventist School/ Southeast Asia Union College
273A Upper Serangoon Road
The San Yu Adventist School is made up of two schools: the San Yu High School (1958) and the Seventh-day Adventist School (1907). Located as a private school atop a raised hill owned and run by the Seventh-day Adventist Mission, the school started as the Eastern Training School in a house called Mount Pleasant off Thomson Road. It was later relocated to 273A Upper Serangoon Rd in 1921.
In 1996, the government acquired the land to construct the NE MRT line and demolished the school.
Bakery across Nine Emperor Temple
The row of shophouses across the Nine Emperor Temple were built in 1930. It has since been demoloished to be replaced by Choon Kim House.
Maybank and Cathay Photo Shop
Maybank, fruitstores and clan associations were set up along this row of shop houses. Cathay Photo Shop also had a branch here.
Dou Mu temple/ Nine Emperor Temple/ Kui Ong Yaah
The Tou Mu Kung Temple (Chinese: 斗母宫) is a Taoist temple situated on Upper Serangoon Road, Singapore.
Worshipping the Empress Registrar of Birth or Dou Mu (斗母) and Nine Emperor (九皇大帝) deities, the temple has both Taoist and Buddhist influences.
The temple was built in 1921 by Ong Choo Wee. According to newspaper reports, the first person to worship Jiuhuangye in Singapore was Ong Choo Kee. Ong brought a talisman of Jiuhuangye from Penang to Singapore. Ong Chwee Tow, a wealthy Chinese merchant, donated a plot of land around the five and a half milestone along Upper Serangoon Road to build a temple. This temple is now the oldest Nine Emperor Gods temple in Singapore, and is known as the Hougang Tou Mu Temple, located at 779A Upper Serangoon Road. A stone inscription at the temple indicates that the deities were invited from Penang in 1902, and the temple was completed in 1921.
It caters to the Teochew community, and was one of two remaining temples in Singapore with a permanent wayang (Chinese opera) stage until 1998.
The temple was gazetted as a national monument on 14 January 2005.
The temple has a symmetrical floor plan with a central air-well. Behind the main hall is a two-storey pagoda. Single-storey quarters for the keepers of the temple are located at the rear of the temple.
The roof of the temple is decorated with dancing dragons. There is also a ridge decoration in the main temple hall. The centre of the ridge has a blazing pearl. Dragons and dragon fish are used to terminate the ridges. Hips are terminated by spirals. The roof trusses are typically Chinese, decorated with carvings and simple brackets. The main doors are painted with pictures of the Door Gods. Its colour scheme of light blue and brown is rather subdued when compared to other temples.
Nam Heng Coffee shop
Pre-war shophouses that started with Nam Peng Coffee shop and included OUB Bank and Khee Hua Tng Medical Shop and a few other fruit and provision shops.
Kok Seng Guan coffee shop/ Sally's Nasi Padang
Sally's Nasi Padang at the junction of Lim Ah Pin Road and Upper Serangoon Road
Pedestrian Bridge outside OUB Bank
The pedestrian bridge was constructed in the 1960s. The clump of tall trees at the top of the hill still stand today and shade the petrol kiosks that still exist today.
Simon Road Market
The Simon Road Market had a wet market section that sold poultry, meat and vegetables. The dry section sold breakfast, dried sundry products and even clothes. In the evenings, hawkers sold their food at the lower section of the market.
It was famous for the muah chee, Hokkien mee, wanton mee, mee-rebus, pigs' trotters, beef kway teow and other food stalls. Some of which continue the food tradition today in other parts of Hougang.
There was also an old Chinese shrine built near some old trees in the center of the temple.
The market was demolished in 1999 as part of the MRT project. Kovan residences was built in it's place.
Lim Ah Pin Post Office building
1 Lim Ah Pin Road
Lim Ah Pin Clinic
Lim Ah Pin Clinic was a pre-war dispensary for residents in the area. It was re-built and opened in 1953 and was shut down i nthe 1980s.
The namesake - Lim Ah Pin was a fruit vendor, bus conductor, anhd later enterpreneur who built up his fortune in the manufacture of vermicelli and was known as the "beehoon king". The houses and schools nearby were built by him.
Oral archives about the person can be heard from the National Archives who interviewed Mr Lim Ah Pi's son, Mr James Lim Keng Hoe.
Pat's School house today occupies it's venue.
Lim Ah Pin Library
The Lim Ah Pin library dates back to 2 Feb 1954. It was the first branch of Raffles library located in Lim Ah Pin Road, off Upper Serangoon Road, at the Social Welfare Centre. The Colonial Secretary, W.A.C. Goode officiated its opening on 2 Feb 1954.
The Raffles Library and Museum existed from 1945 to 1960 for members of the public and was replaced with the National Library.
Heartland Mall/ Blk 205 Oriental Emporium
In the 1980s, the place was Blk 205 Oriental Emporium.
Upper Serangoon People's Park
Upper Serangoon People's Park selling clothes, everyday necessities and also its famed Water Chestnut water.
Row of Shophouses at 6 Mile: Goh Ah Bee and Hock Cheong Tailor
The row of shophouses near the overhead bridge that included Goh Ah Bee, Hock Cheong Tailor, the Bar (for food) and also bicycle shop and wooden clogs makers.
Residents in the area swear by the cheap electronic goods they purchased from Goh Ah Bee. Today, both the tailor and electronics shop still exist today.
Hock Cheong Tailor - Blk 212, Hougang Street 21 #01-333,Phone: 62824992
Goh Ah Bee - Blk 210 # 01-247,Hougang Street 21 6288 8611
Today, the entrance to the MRT station occupies the site.
The shell kiosk was torn down in the 1990s to make way for the MRT line that runs underneat. Today, Kovan Melody takes its place.
Row of shophouses: Overseas Union Bank, Kee Hua Tng Medical
OUB, Kee Hua Tng Medical and Sim Miah Seng store.
Row of shophouses - Sim Miah Seng, Chin Seng Moh and corner coffee shop
Sim Miah Seng and Chin Seng Moh were importers od dairy products from overseas.
Today, they are still in the business:
1) Sim Miah Seng exist today as
Sim Miah Seng Pte Ltd located at , 20 Defu Lane 10, Tel 62886185
2) Chin Seng Moh was incorporated in the year 1947. It started its business operation as a retail provision shop in Upper Serangoon Road, Singapore. It expanded its business to supply animal feeds to pigs and poultry farms in Singapore but was phased out in the early 1970s. It exists today as Chin Seng Moh (Import & Export) Pte Ltd located at No. 6 Chin Bee Drive.
Bus Terminus at Six Mile
Bus Terminus outside Cheong's Dental Clinic and Yong's Teochew Food.
Bus Stop outside Loo Seng Kee furniture shop
990 Upper Serangoon Road
Bus Stop outside Loo Seng Kee furniture shop.
Today, steel manufacture shops and Selegie Soya Bean shop holds court there.
Ba Khia Hng (Crocodile Garden)
Ba Khia Hng was a large area with stone black birds (au cheo) at its entrance. Attap houses and a large bungalow house were found in it's interior. It had to make way for Serangoon Junior College which was set up in 1988.
Undertaker shops opposite Ba Khia Hng
Simon Road shophouses
The row of shophouses along Simon Road featured dry cleaners, hair dressers and gas suppliers.
Today, eateries and businesses line most of the shops.
Tan Moh Hong Crocodile Farm
790 Upper Serangoon Road
The Tan Moh Hong Crocodile Farm began in 1945 with the breeding these reptiles.
Several species of the family crocodylus may be seen at the farm, including the well-known Caiman, Tomistoma and Prosus varieties. The farm also sells leather products created from the crocodiles' hides.
The farm was the creation of a Chinese entrepreneur, Tan Gua Chua, who was captivated by these reptiles. With the assistance of his family members, he made the crocodile sanctuary on the acre of land surrounding his house in the Upper Serangoon area. The operation started with a mere ten crocodiles but with knowledgeable breeding, the number of reptiles increased rapidly. To generate public interest in the establishment Tan kept his farm freely accessible to members of the public. Tan also created a factory in which the crocodile pelts were processed, crafted into different products and then retailed both at the farm's gift shop and in other countries.
On 20 Feb 1972, even Lord Louis Mountabatten, Earl of Burma, visited the reptile farm with his family on a private trip to Singapore. The site remains free and open to the public today.
Sin Min School
819 Upper Serangoon Road
Sin Min High School started as a primary school. The first Principal was Mr Yap Fun Hong(1945-1949). With the help of Mr Heng Chin Soo and Mr Tan Choon Teng, they set the school on 1 November 1945 to educate the rural Chinese in the area.
The original school was made up of three rented bungalows at Upper Serangoon Road.
620 students were registered in October.
In 1956, it became an aided school with both primary and secondary classes. Students of the school participated in the anti-colonial struggle. Many of the brighter ones went on to Nanyang University.
In 1986, Sin Min High became an English-medium school. In 1990, the school shifted from the 5th Milestone Upper Serangoon to Hougang Avenue 8 and was renamed Xinmin Secondary School.
The current location at Upper Serangoon Road is occupied by Helping Hand, a Christian half-way house for the rehabilitation of ex-drug addicts.
The land was purchased in 1942 but the church finally built by 1 Dec 1953. Fr Moses Koh was the first Parish Priest.
The church was expanded in 1981 with side wings built under Fr. Loiseau and Fr barthoulot.
In 1999, the church was demolished to make way for a new church tat was built in 2002.
In pre-war days, the residents in the area celebrated mass at the home of a Catholic family with Fr Innocent Fernandez saying mass. As the congregation grew, another alternative was found at SJC school hall. Fr. P Messonier took over the saying of mass when Fr Fernandez passed on.
The church was
St Joseph's Convent
SJC started out as a private school in 1938 in a rented house at possibly 15 Flower Road. It started with 21 pupils and three staff –(including a nun from the Order of the Holy Infant Jesus).
In 1951, SJC moved to Hillside Drive. Primary classes were phased out in the 1960s and by 1975, SJC became a purely secondary school.
In 2000, the school moved to its current site in Seng Kang
Today, ACMI (Archdiocesan Commission for the Pastoral Care of Migrants & Itinerant People) uses the school as a training centre.
Paya Lebar Methodist Church
7, Boundary Road
Paya Lebar Methodist Church was set up on 10th July 1932 after a few members from Wesley Methodist Church and the Straits Chinese Churches transferred. It brought up the numbers to 18 full time members.
Rev Abel Eklund conducted the inauguration service in a shophouse chapel at 166D Upper Serangoon Road.
Through funds raised, a four-room Church was built at 7 Boundary Road.
The old building was demolished in 1996 and made way for the current one that was completed 18 months later.
Paya Lebar Methodist Girls' School
PLMGS started out on 31 October 1916 when the Boundary Road land was purchased to build a school.
It was a branch of ACS and was known as Paya Lebar English School.
Enrolment began with the first classes beginning at elementary level in 1917, 3 staff memebers and a pupil enrolment of 24 boys. Girls were enrolled the following year.
In 1986, PLMGS was relocated to Lorong Ah Soo and the building torn down to be replaced with a kindergarten and play center that is part of the Paya Lebar Methodist Church.
Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
The church began on a 40 acre piece of land acquired from the Government and added on a few more acres donated by a certain mr. De. Souza.
The first baptisms and mass in the place took place on Xmas Day, 1853 in an attap chapel. It was later changed into a brick chapel and named "Church of St. mary".
The current Gothic style church was built in 1901 by Fr. Saleilles and consecrated on Dec 8, 1901 on the feast of the Immaculate Conception.
CHIJ Ponggol and Holy Innocents' Chinese Girls' School
1) Holy Innocents' Ch Girls' Sch
The school was founded in 1932 by Fr Becheras and between 1937 to 1942, placed under the the care of Sr. Henry as Principal.
In 1985, Holy Innocents' High School (Primary Section) and Holy Innocents' Chinese Girls' School were combined to form Holy Innocents' Primary School and moved out to Lor Low Koon where it remains today.
Ponggol Convent started out in 1957 and shared it's premises with the Holy Innocents' Chinese Girls' School.
In 1999, the school was relocated to it's current site along Upper Serangoon Road. It was renamed CHIJ Our Lady of the Nativity in 2001.
Holy Innocents' English School/ Montfort School
HIES/Montfort School started out in 1916 when Fr Laurent set up a building that would be the school in his 2 storey presbytery (called the Doctrine House) that still stands beside the Church.
Fr Duvelle set up the school with Mr Low teaching the Ch class on the ground floor of the new building and an EL class on the upper floor.
The school was expanded by Fr Becheras with a single storey block of 5 classrooms built along Upper Serangoon Road in 1927 and another block of 3 classrooms on the cemetery side in 1929. Another storey was added to the 3 classroom block in 1932.
The Brothers of St Gabriel arrived in 1936 to take over the running of HIES in 1936.
The school was relocated in 1991 to Hougang Ave 8 and the building demolished to make way for the new CHIJ (OLN) which currently stands on the site.
Holy Innocents' High School
Holy Innocents' High School traces it's roots to the Chinese Mission that started it's missionary work in Singapore in 1832.
In 1916, Chinese classes were started by Fr. Duvelle on the ground floor of his presbytery beside the Church of the Nativity. The Chinese classes were taught by a Mr Low. (The 2nd floor had EL classes taught by Mr Lee Ah Kow which later became HIES / Montfort School)
Classes were discontinued but by 1920, with Fr. Becheras as supervisor, the classes grew in size and the school was changed renamed Holy Innocents’ Boys School.
In 1957, the school relocated to its current site which originally comprised of a two-storey building with 12 classrooms.
The following year, Secondary classes were started and the school was again renamed Holy Innocents’ High School.
Hai Sing Girls' School
Hai Sing Girls' High School was founded by the FMM (Franciscan Missionaries of Mary) and led by Sister Theresa Tsang. The school relocated to Pasir Ris in 1990 and was renamed Hai Sing High School.
The University of New Brunswick had it's campus here. Today, the Singapore Institute of Commerce (SIC) occupies the site.
Kangkar lay at the end of Upper Serangoon Road and flowed into the Sungei Serangoon area.
Small roads in the area included Lorong Loyak, Lor Sepat and Lor Santun.
In the 1930s, a fish market was set up and until the 1980s, fishing boats brought in fresh fish in the early hours of the morning and sold them to whole-salers.
The land has since been reclaimed to link it with Punggol New Town and Sengkang.
Simon Road Army Camp - 1st Tpt
Formerly the site of Serangoon Secondary School/Serangoon English School, the 1st Transport Army camp occupied the premises from 1967 to the 1990s. Across the street was a provision shop that still operates today.
The buildings located on the site were demolished and an open field stands in it's place awaiting re-development.
Serangoon Secondary School
Set up in 1928, Serangoon Secondary School was first called Serangoon English School. It was then the only government co-educational school in the Singapore and a feeder school to Raffles Institution.
In 1937, classes went up to Standard Eight and those who completed Standard Eight then went on to Raffles Institution and Raffles Girls' School.
After the war, the school moved to Aroozoo Ave. and remained a boys' school for almost 12 years with Pre-University classes offered for both sexes in 1965.
The school relocated to Lowland Road in 1967 and also changed its name to Serangoon Secondary School. Pre-U classes were shut down in 1976.
In 2001, the school was relocated to it's current site at the reclaimed land at the end of Upp. Serangoon Road.
Today, the school remains used by Dimensions International College, a school for international students at 58 Lowland Road.
NIB Bookstore with comics that went for $20 in the 1970s and when returned, got paid at half the price.
Today, Happy Daze Cafe occupies it's premises but the structure of the store is still easily recognizable.
The Paramount was built in 1962 by a carpenter-turned-property developer. It was shut down in 1983 and converted into Fitzpatrick’s supermarket in 1984 before the chain was bought over by Cold Storage. And when Cold Storage closed the outlet in 1985.
The Paramount was later the Serangoon Garden Village complex with F&B outlets in the late 1990s.
Today, a shopping center, The Village, holds at the present site, developed by Chye Lee & Sons. Chye Lee owned the cinema.
Chomp Chomp Hawker Centre
Built in 1972, Chomp Chomp continues today as a mainly night Hawker Centre. It cost $95,000 and hawkers who were formerly selling cooked food at the bus bay near Serangoon Garden Circus were relocated there.
Boys from Serangoon Garden Sec Sch help put up the "CHOMP CHOMP" Signboard outside the centre in 1972.
Today, the site continues to be a buzz right up to 12am in the morning.
Another cinema in the 1960s and 1970s was Zenith Cinema. The cinema was shut down in the 1980s to make way for Wing Tai Building.
Bidadari Cemetery (Chinese: 比达达利坟场, Malay: Perkuburan Bidadari) is a defunct cemetery in Singapore. There were two sections: the Muslim section was at the base of Mount Vernon, bounded by Upper Aljunied Road, Upper Serangoon Road, and Bartley Road; the Christian section was across Upper Aljunied Road from the Muslim section, and bounded by Upper Serangoon Road as well.
The cemetery was a burial site of Augustine Podmore Williams, an English sailor, on whose life writer Joseph Conrad based his novel Lord Jim. Lim Boon Keng (1869 – 1957), the famed Chinese philanthropist was also buried here. Others include Fr Edward Becheras and the soldiers who were killed during the Sepoy Mutiny in 1917.
Bidadari is believed to be derived from the Sanskrit widyadari meaning "nymph of Indra's heaven" or houri, a similar meaning in Persian mythology. One of Johore Sultan Abubakar's wives had set up her Istana residence on Bidadari Estate. When she left the place, the government bought the 45-acre land and a cemetery was opened in 1904, which became Bidadari Cemetery.
The first to be buried at Bidadari Cemetery was George Mildmay Dare, a member of the local European community.
At the entrance of the Christian-Catholic section, D. M. Craik built a simple well-designed chapel with simple brickwork and exposed roof members, and which became a landmark at the location.
Later, it was leased to the Japanese who built moats with typical Japanese wooden bridges and tea houses.
The cemetery closed for burials in 1972 and cremations conducted at Mount Vernon.
By November 2001, the cemetery was cleared to make way for a new MRT Station and upcoming housing estate.
At least 58,000 graves were located in Bidadari with 45,000 attributed to burials before 1951.
Today, the site remains vacant, awaiting development. The gates were relocated to Mt Vernon but the chapel demolished.
Corner provision shops and barber