Search CommunityWalk:
Create_a_map_small
Mymaps_small



Top 25: Postwar Architecture Task Force of Greater Phoenix

The Postwar Architecture Task Force has selected these Top 25 commercial properties from the Midcentury Marvels book for citizens to protect and encourage historic designation.
(view on the map)
Valley National Bank (Devenney Group)
201 W Indian School Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85013, US
1957. Designed by Herman Jacoby, of Weaver and Drover. Constructed of stone and glass it subtly blends an open floor plan with a green outdoor landscape. Was recently rehabbed and inhabited by Hoskin Ryan Consultants.
(view on the map)
Valley National Bank (Chase Bank, 44th/Camelback)
4401 E Camelback Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85018, US
1967. VNB President Walter Bimson selected this sophisticated Modernist design by Frank Henry from among five competing submissions. The curvilinear composition of parasols and stone studded walls has stood the test of time. It won the AIA AZ 25 year Award proving to be one of Arizona's most distinguished and beloved Modernist buildings
(view on the map)
Phoenix Financial Center
3443 N Central Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85012, US
1963. Constructed by real estate developer David H. Murdock to "provide the city with a piece of landmark architecture that had never before existed in Phoenix."
(view on the map)
Western Savings & Loan (Souper Salad)
10005 N Metro Pkwy
Phoenix, AZ 85051, US
1974. This unique vase-shape of this once bank branch was designed to be seen from the I-17. The new PUD rezoning will affect use of this land as it prepares to make way for light rail.
(view on the map)
Friedman Office Building (Red Modern Furniture)
201 E Camelback Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85012, US
1957. A masterful example of the Miesian approach to the International Style.
(view on the map)
Central Towers
2727 N Central Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85004, US
1959-62. Among the earliest post-war high rise office towers to be constructed along the Central Ave corridor. it was an attempt to create an environmentally responsive interpretation of New Formalism in Phoenix.
(view on the map)
Durant's
2611 N Central Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85004, US
1947. A low key 'hide-out' purposefully designed to be unnoticeable, yet refined.
(view on the map)
Lou Regester Furniture (Copenhagen)
1701 E Camelback Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85016, US
1954. A Southwestern twist to the Contemporary Style.
(view on the map)
Lescher & Mahoney Office
407 W Osborn Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85013, US
1963. Studio of architects Lescher & Mahoney until Mahoney retired in 1974. The building displays many different modernist principles.
(view on the map)
Veteran's Memorial Coliseum
1826 W McDowell Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85007, US
1964. w/ T.Y. Lin international
(view on the map)
First National Bank of Arizona (Rock of Salvation Ministries)
1769 Grand Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85007, US
1952. Influenced by Usonian house designs with a low-scaled horizontal roof plane and cantilevered overhangs as well as the use of native fieldstone.
(view on the map)
IBEW Union Hall
5808 N 7th St
Phoenix, AZ 85012, US
1967. Beadle's interpretation of the Miesian International Style was the winner of the 1968 Central Arizona AIA's Award of Merit.
(view on the map)
300 Bowl (AMF Lanes)
1919 W Bethany Home Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85015, US
1958. One of the few remaining Googie Style buildings in Phoenix
(view on the map)
Mardian Construction Company Headquarters
3815 N Black Canyon Hwy
Phoenix, AZ 85015, US
1965. To honor the firm's 25th anniversary, the company built this building to reflect their pride and gratitude to the community. Its New Formalist style is unmistakably inspired by Edward Durell Stone's 1954 US Embassy in New Delhi. It is a rare example of this form of Modernism in Phoenix.
(view on the map)
Conn & Candlin Office
2701 N 7th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85007, US
1962. An organic modern stone and glass box with clerestory windows and a planter that extends from foyer to outdoors.
(view on the map)
Memory Lawn Mausoleum
719 N 27th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85009, US
1963. This sleek and stylish concrete and marble complex with shaded courtyards lets Phoenicians rest in style.
(view on the map)
Arizona Title Building
111 W Monroe St
Phoenix, AZ 85003, US
1964. A folded plate roof graces a Neoformalist colonnade in front of this glass box, the first in the metro area to use an interior structure to support an exterior facade.
(view on the map)
Miracle Mile Storefronts
McDowell Road between 16th and 20th St
Phoenix, AZ 85034, US
1964. Once on the outskirts of a crowded downtown, these glassy storefronts tuck back at enticing angles under deep eaves to draw shoppers in.
(view on the map)
First National Bank at 24th
1 S 24th St
Phoenix, AZ 85034, US
1966. The distinctive concrete parasols uplift the old world brick into the new era of Modernism. Has stood vacant for years and now favored by vagrants for shade.
(view on the map)
APS Administration Building
2121 W Cheryl Dr
Phoenix, AZ 85021, US
1962. An elaborate concrete screen on a two-foot standoff shields massive glass curtain walls from the sun.
(view on the map)
Paris Laundry & Dry Cleaning
4130 N 7th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85013, US
1957. The jaunty porte-cochere and neon sign are holdouts of the googie era of advertising through the distinctive architecture.
(view on the map)
5th Avenue Medical Building
3411 N 5th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85013, US
1967. The ultimate Beadle box on stilts with narrow concrete slot windows and a gracious fountain entryway underneath.
(view on the map)
Corral Drive-In (Corral Cleaners)
6245 S Central Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85004, US
1952. The enduring icon of a fifties hamburger stand, predating the first franchised Mc-Donald's in Phoenix by one year.
(view on the map)
City Center Motel
612 W Van Buren St
Phoenix, AZ 85003, US
1959. A soaring space-age porte-cochere sheltered guests when they arrived in central Phoenix along the former Funset Strip.
(view on the map)
Arizona Medical Association Inc
810 W Bethany Home Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85013
1970. Massive regional modernist fortress designed by Bennie Gonzales FAIA. Currently vulnerable as it is for sale.