Search CommunityWalk:
Create_a_map_small
Explore_small
Tutorials_small
Mymaps_small

Pacific Electric Inland Empire Trail

A 21-mile long regional multi-purpose trail from Claremont to Rialto.
(view on the map)
Etiwanda Railway Station/Future Trailhead
7089 Etiwanda Avenue
Rancho Cucamonga, California 91739
This historic landmark was built in 1914 for the famous 'red cars' on the San Bernardino line of the Pacific Electric Railway. The architecture is an excellent example of local Mission Revival style, notably the curved tower parapet. The station saved citrus and grape growers a 4 mile trip in hauling their crops to the Cucamonga station. This station was closed in 1960 and leased to a lumber company until 2004 when the City of Rancho Cucamonga leased the property with the intent of restoring the building to its former glory as both a trailhead and museum.
(view on the map)
Isle House
7086 Etiwanda Avenue
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 19739, USA
The origin of the Isle House dates to the 1800s with the founding of the Etiwanda Colony by George and William Chaffey. The Chaffey Brothers built the structure in 1883 for their mother and sister, Annie and Emma Chaffey. In 1902 James C. Isle, one of the largest citrus ranchers of the area purchased the house and moved it to the corner of Highland and Etiwanda Avenues. In 1945, the grandson of James C. Isle, Alfred W. McGuire, acquired the property. In 1998, with the extension of the Route 30 freeway, and at the urging of the Etiwanda Historical Society, the City purchased the house from Caltrans. The house was moved to its current location at 7086 Etiwanda Avenue, and is being restored by the City of Rancho Cucamonga and the Etiwanda Historical Society.
(view on the map)
Chaffey Garcia House
7150 Etiwanda Avenue
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91739, USA
This house was built circa 1874 by Captain Joseph Garcia. It was purchased by the Chaffey brothers in 1882 and became the cornerstone of the Etiwanda town site that the brothers eventually laid out. Also of note, in 1882 it was the site of the first electric light west of the Rocky Mountains and home to the first long distance telephone call in California. A hydro-electric generator produced sufficient power to provide electricity for the house. The house was moved to its present location on April 24, 1985, and restoration continued during the ensuing years through the efforts of the Etiwanda Historical Society. The house now serves as a museum of early Etiwanda community life.
(view on the map)
Etiwanda Congregational Church
7126 Etiwanda Avenue
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91739, USA
This Queen Anne Victorian style wood church was built in 1902. The roof of the church is a high gable and a central bell tower located over the entrance. From 1958 to 1960 the Etiwanda Justice Court used the church basement for trials. This structure was the center of most social activity in the Etiwanda community; holding Boy Scout meetings in the basement and hosting monthly evening suppers and coffee hours after worship.
(view on the map)
Magic Lamp Restaurant
8189 Foothill Boulevard
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730, USA
In 1941, Lucy and John Nosenzo built an elaborately styled Streamline Modern cafe fronting Route 66. In 1956-57, Frank Penn and partners extensively, elaborately, remodeled and expanded the restaurant. Intricate brickwork, stained glass, and a flame-producing sign embellish this unique, creative building, making it one of the most expressive examples of roadside architecture in the City.
(view on the map)
Sycamore Inn Restaurant
8318 Foothill Boulevard
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730, USA
The Sycamore Inn, originally known as Uncle Billy Rubottom's, is the fourth building to occupy the site of a trailside inn built in 1848. Built within a grove of Sycamores, it was a favorite stagecoach stop for patrons of the Butterfield Stage where they could be served a dinner of fried chicken, corn doger, and buttermilk.

The present Sycamore Inn was built in 1921 by John Klusman and was used as a country inn until 1939. It is a two-story building of wood construction, with a front gable roof with composite shingles. It is now a popular and well-known restaurant.
(view on the map)
Oso Bear Statue
8318 Foothill Boulevard
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730, USA
The 6-foot high statue of a bear was erected in 1932 in memory of California pioneers. The bear is facing east in commemoration of the approaching California pioneer wagon trains. It was placed by the Native Daughters of the Golden West. The bear is 3 feet high anchored in a 3-foot concrete base. Bear Gulch was a natural stopping point for Native American, Spanish, Mexican, and American travelers. Traveling from San Bernardino, it was the first water source.
(view on the map)
Casa de Rancho Cucamonga (Rains House)
8810 Hemlock Street
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730, USA
The house originally belonged to the 13,000 acre Rancho de Cucamonga. John Rains built the house in 1860 for his wife, Dona Merced Williams de Rains. It was the first burned brick house in San Bernardino County and the second oldest burned brick house still in existence in Southern California. It is the only structure in the City listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The house is generally open for tours (highly recommended) Wednesday through Sunday, noon to 4:00 p.m. and is owned by the San Bernardino County Museum Department. Operations are managed by a group of volunteers; the Casa de Rancho Cucamonga Historical Society (909) 989-4970. The museum parking lot is accesible from Foothill Boulevard, by traveling north on Vineyard Avenue and turning right on Hemlock Street.
(view on the map)
Thomas Vineyards Co./Cucamonga Winery
8916 Foothill Boulevard
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730, USA
This is the site of California's oldest winery. It was built in 1839 by Tubercio Tapia by the hands of many Chinese laborers. Construction began sometime after March 3, 1839, when Governor Juan B. Alvarado of Mexico granted Rancho de Cucamonga to Tapia. John Rains made substantial additions. It was purchased by Hugh Thomas in 1920 and became a successful Route 66 business after Prohibition was repealed. In recent times, the building has been renovated and houses several businesses. The surrounding site is developed as a retail complex, and many of the winery equipment pieces are on display throughout the parking lot. The building is currently occupied by a restaurant, coffee house, and wine retailer with wine tasting.
(view on the map)
Henry Albert Building
7136 Amethyst Avenue
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91701, USA
Constructed in the 1920s, this building is one of only six commercial structures left standing in the original business center of the Alta Loma community. Henry Albert was a citrus rancher who moved his family to Cucamonga in 1895. He was secretary for the committee that was instrumental in getting the Pacific Electric Railroad to build a line through the area.
(view on the map)
Alta Loma Fire Hall
9493 Lomita Court
7152 Amethyst Avenue
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91701, USA
Built by the local community in 1938 as both a social hall and firehouse. The fire department was established in 1920 as a volunteer concern, and boasted a Model-T Ford with a 30-gallon chemical tank. Fortunately, most fires were in Cucamonga since the fire truck ran faster downhill than up. When Alta Loma residents of the 1930s recognized the need for a fire station, they banded together to build this two-story structure in the heart of Old Alta Loma. Funds were raised through special dinners, dances, and donations. The residents prided themselves on having constructed the building using volunteer firemen labor and without government assistance, and marked the building with a plaque denoting that fact. In 1931, a property tax was approved and the Alta Loma Fire District was formed. For close to 40 years, this building functioned as the fire station and local community center.
(view on the map)
Roth's Store
7157 Amethyst Avenue
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91701, USA
In 1915, upon completion of the Pacific Electric Railroad, the Roth family moved the operation of their general store from its original location at 19th Street and Hellman Avenue to the present site. This poured concrete structure is reminiscent of the Mission Revival style. Franklin Roth was the first to provide food and mail to the newly formed downtown Alta Loma along Amethyst Avenue. In 1929, Ernie Hall bought the entire structure and ran a restaurant/pool hall/bar until his death.
(view on the map)
Roberds House
7201 Amethyst Avenue
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91701, USA
The Craftsman style Roberds House was originally a Nazarene church moved from Archibald Avenue by the Roberds family. The first home within Alta Loma was built on this site, but was moved in the 1920s and replaced with the present Roberds House structure.
(view on the map)
Day Creek Fire Station
12270 Firehouse Court
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91739, USA
This Craftsman style fire station opened in 2006.
(view on the map)
Ellena Regina (Filippi) Winery
12467 Base Line Road
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91739, USA
The winery is one of five wineries surviving out of some 60 such operations which once dominated the physical, economic and cultural livelihood of the Cucamonga Valley. Winery co-founder John B. Ellena focused his efforts after 1949 on producing wine vinegar almost exclusively, and the Regina Grape Products Co., as it was known in 1959, was the nation's leading producer of wine vinegar. Along with nationwide distribution of wine vinegar, the winery itself took on the flavor of a destination theme park with daily self guided tours, an annual grape festival and resident Lilliputian horses imported from Argentina. In 1968, the state's first restaurant on a winery site was opened. Sold to Heublein and later to Del Monte and its successors, the winery continued to produce wine vinegar under the Regina label and other products until 1992. The property was purchased in 1993 by the Redevelopment Agency of the City of Rancho Cucamonga. Although owned by the City, the Filipi family leases the property and it is a working winery, reception center, and gift store where one can enjoy wine tasting.
(view on the map)
Hippards Ranch Vineyard
13100 Victoria Street
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91739, USA
This land was purchased in 1882 from the Chaffey brothers for Samuel M. Hippard, a minister from Ohio, by his congregation, but he did not live to see it. The land was inherited by his son George who later built the Hippard Ranch on the parcel adjacent to the vineyards. The vineyards were removed between 1920 and 1930 because of prohibition, and the land remained unplanted until 1997. The Hippard family sold the land separately from the residence, which resulted in it changing ownership frequently until the Banks family purchased it. When the parcel that was previously vineyards was purchased, the original land belonging to Hippard Ranch once again was all under the same ownership. The Banks replanted the original vineyards in 1997 and have continued the maintenance on the property.
(view on the map)
Hippard Ranch
13181 Victoria Street
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91739, USA
This land was purchased in 1882 from the Chaffey brothers for Samuel M. Hippard, a minister from Ohio, by his congregation, but he did not live to see it. It was inherited by his son George, who lived in San Francisco. The house was built in 1916 by architect Carr Jones. Carr Jones is associated with one of California's most renowned architects, Bernard Maybeck, and this is his only building constructed outside the San Francisco and Monterey Bay areas. It is a unique symmetrical building of local rock and cypress logs, designed to blend with the surroundings and to bring the outdoors within.