Create_a_map_small
Mymaps_small



Mapping Kentucky History Warren County Markers

T.C. Cherry Elementary STLP Ethan Kendelbaugh, Caleb Goodman Blake Forshee, Ani Compton, Tyaira Watkins & William H. Natcher Elementary STLP
(view on the map)
538 A Civil War Defense Line
KY, USA
Marker reads, Troops under Generals S. B. Buckner and A. S. Johnston, CSA, took up this key position in the Southern defense line on September 18, 1861. After Fort Henry fell and Fort Donelson was threatened, they evacuated Feb. 11-13, 1862. Gen. O. M. Mitchell and Federal troops entered Feb. 14, 1862, occupying the evacuated fort and securing the defense line for the North.
(view on the map)
1127 Hobson House
KY, USA
Marker reads, Located at the west end of Main St. Home of Col. Atwood G. Hobson, lawyer, banker and Union officer, begun 1860. During the Confederate occupation of Bowling Green, 1862, CSA Gen. Simon B. Buckner saved house at request of his friend, USA General W. E. Hobson, son of owner. Used as munitions depot. After the war, Col. Hobson made that his home until death, 1898.
(view on the map)
1882 James T. Morehead (1797-1854
KY, USA
Marker reads, KY first native son to become governor was born in Bullitt Co. but reared in Logan Co. He read law under John J. Crittenden; began practice in Bowling Green. Served in KY. House of Rep., and elected lt. governor. At Gov. Breathitts death, Morehead became chief executive, 1834-1836. A close Whig ally of Henry Clay, he was in U.S. Senate, 1841-1847. Buried in Frankfort.
(view on the map)
1187 Long Hunters
KY, USA
Marker reads, An exploring party of 13 Long Hunters, so named because of the long periods of time spent away from home, camped along Barren River in 1775. Their names were carved on a beech tree, a silent record of the first white men in this area. Henry Skaggs and Joseph Drake of this group had been among first Long Hunters, 1769-71, whose exploring helped open mid-Kentucky.
(view on the map)
1954 Providence Knob Baptist Church
KY, USA
Marker reads, Oldest Missionary Baptist Church in Warren Assoc., it was organized in Sept. 1804 with nine members. Five churches in Bowling Green and Warren Co. have formed from the parent church, including First Baptist Church of Bowling Green, 1818. Two associations formed here: Gasper River-1812; Clear Fork-1860. Present building erected in 1852. Presented by Providence Knob Baptist Church.
(view on the map)
67 Confederate State Capital of Kentucky
KY, USA
Marker reads, Bowling Green was named State Capital at the convention in Russellville, November 20, 1861. First Governor: George W. Johnson. Commissioners to the Confederate Congress: William Preston, W. E. Simms, and Henry Burnett.
(view on the map)
2052 Jonesville
KY, USA
Marker reads, This African American community was founded after the Civil War. It was bordered by Dogwood Dr., Russellville Road, and the railroad tracks. The community grew to include several hundred residents, an elementary school, businesses, and two churches. Frame and hand-hewn stone houses lined the streets of Jonesville. Presented by Western Kentucky University. Reverse, Jonesville - The lives of most residents of this close African American community revolved around church, school and family activities. In the late 1950s Jonesville was one of two areas in Bowling Green designated for urban renewal. By 1968 the state had acquired the land and sold it to the university. Presented by Western Kentucky University.
(view on the map)
662 Old Meeting House
KY, USA
Marker reads, Green River Union Meeting House, part of Great Frontier Revival of early 1800s, and burial ground are three miles northwest. Huguenots came 1806 and 1814, organized and built log church, then about 1845 present meeting house. Methodists, Baptists, Presbyterians met there before building own churches in area. Many leading ministers of those days were trained there.
(view on the map)
1191 Pioneer Survey
KY, USA
Marker reads, General Elijah M. Covington of the Kentucky Militia came here from North Carolina in 1795 to farm and survey. Acquired 23,000 acres in Warren, Logan, Edmonson counties. He became Warren Countys first sheriff and surveyor. Helped to select the early site of Bowling Green and made the first survey of Mammoth Cave. This park named for him, purchased by city, 1933.
(view on the map)
1201 Warren Countys Chief USA Civil War Officers
KY, USA
Marker reads, Brig. Gen. William E. Hobson, 1st Brig., 2nd Div., 23rd Corps Col. Benj. C. Grider, 9th KY. Inf. Col. J. H. Grider, 52nd KY. Inf. Col. P. B. Hawkins, 11th KY. Inf. Col. Atwood G. Hobson, 13th KY. Inf. Col. E. L. Mottley, 11th KY. Inf. Reverse, Warren Countys Awards-Confederate Medals of Honour Conferred by President Davis on enlisted man selected by company at the first dress parade after every single victory. Sgt. Wm. E. Kinman, Co. H, 9th KY. Inf. at Stones River, 1863. Pvt. Benjamin F. Parker, Co. A, 2nd KY. Inf. at Chickamauga, 1863.
(view on the map)
769 Home of Thomas Hines
KY, USA
Marker reads, Capt. Thomas Henry Hines enlisted in the Confederate Army, 1861. With Brig. Gen John H. Morgan, 1862-63. Captured, July 63, in Ohio with Morgan. Led escape from Federal prison, Nov. 63. Leader of northwest conspiracy 64. Termed most dangerous man of Confederacy. KY. Court of Appeals, 1878-98. Born Butler Co., 1838; lived here. Buried Fairview Cemetery, 1898.
(view on the map)
2149 Ora Porter
KY, USA
Marker reads, Ora Porter, born in Butler Co., in 1880, moved to Bowling Green at age 10. She graduated from Tuskegee Institute School of Nursing and was among the earliest registered nurses in KY. She was an organizer of the George Washington Carver Community Center, the Interracial Commission, an active campaigner for civic improvement. Died, 1970.
(view on the map)
981 McFadins Station
KY, USA
Marker reads, The first in this area, 1785. On north bank of Barren River, built by Andrew McFadden McFadden, one of 8 brothers from N.C., all of whom fought in Revolutionary War. Five of them later came to KY., settled along Barren River. Andrew made first surveys of much of the land in this region. McFadins was stopover for Robert Moore, who founded Bowling Green about 1796. Reverse, Cumberland Trace - McFadins Station stood near the Cumberland Trace, an important artery in the development of this region, used by many who settled this area. The route branched off from the Wilderness Road near Harrodsburg, came past present sites of Greensburg and Glasgow, crossed the Barren River here and continued on to the Cumberland settlements, now Nashville, Tennessee.
(view on the map)
2158 Shake Rag
KY, USA
Marker reads, This African American community was founded in the 1800s. Bordered by the river and High, KY., and 7th Sts, the area grew to include hundreds of residents, two schools, businesses, and churches. The architecture of Shake Rag shows a growing middle-class community. Reverse,The lives of residents revolved around church, school, and family activities. The congregation that became State Street Baptist was organized in 1838. State Street School was founded in 1883; the Carver Center began in 1946. The Southern Queen Hotel served black travelers. Shake Rag is a reminder of progress residents made despite social and economic hardship.
(view on the map)
1360 Ogden College
KY, USA
Marker reads, Founded here, 1877, with funds left by Robert Ogden, local businessman. Filled educational gap, as there were no public schools here until 1882. Prep school accredited in 1919. Ogdens criteria: regular attendance, gentlemanly deportment, diligent study. Consolidated with Western KY. Univ., 1927. Its name is retained in the Ogden College of Science and Technology.
(view on the map)
2182 Training School College High
KY, USA
Marker reads, The model training school opened Sept. 17, 1906 on College Street.It offered 4 grades for Western teacher training.In 1911, moved to future site of Cherry Hall.Grades 5-8 added by 1913.Ties to city schools served and 9th grade added, 1920.Moved to this site, 1925.Graduated 10 in 1st 4 yr high school class, 1926.
(view on the map)
1418 Bowling Green College of Commerce
KY, USA
Marker reads, Became a college of Western Kentucky University in 1963. Founded as part of Glasgow Normal Institute in 1875. School moved to Bowling Green in 1884. Was named Southern Normal School and Business College. In 1907 the schools separated. The Business University moved downtown, then to College Street. Flourished as a private school for over 50 years.
(view on the map)
987 Warren County
KY, USA
Marker reads, Established by Legislature, 1796, as the 24th county of Kentucky. Formed from part of Logan County. Parts of Barren, Allen, Edmonson, and Simpson counties later taken from original Warren boundaries. Named for Maj. Gen. Joseph Warren who died at Bunker Hill in 1775. Two earlier courthouses, the first log and second brick, 1812, were built in present Fountain Square. Reverse, Portage Railroad - Built 1832, by company organized by J. Rumsey Skiles, early Bowling Green industrialist, was one of earliest railroads in KY. It ran from this site to Barren River, over a mile. Its iron tramcars were pulled by mules. In 1836 a depot on this site and an elevator and warehouse on river bank were built. L & N bought Portage R. R., 1855. Part of it still used.
(view on the map)
1458 Fort Webb
KY, USA
Marker reads, Constructed by CSA during early days of Civil War. One of numerous fortifications in Bowling Green area used by CSA and Union forces. Located at head of navigation on Barren and Green River systems, Bowling Green became an important stronghold with two railroads to Memphis and Nashville. Threats from Union forces caused CSA to abandon town on February 14, 1862.
(view on the map)
2240 Eliza Calvert Hall
KY, USA
Marker reads, Lida Calvert Obenchain Eliza Calvert Hall, suffragist, press superintendent of KY. Equal Rights Assn., poet, author. Her most famous story, Sally Anns Experience 1898, protested women’s inequality. President Roosevelt praised her first collection of stories, Aunt Jane of Kentucky1907. Reverse, Royalties helped purchase home at 1353 Chestnut St. The Land of Long Ago1909, To Love and to Cherish 1911 and Clover and Blue Grass 1916 followed. For A Book of Hand-Woven Coverlets 1912, she bought coverlets from wagons of tobacco farmers on Chestnut St. Her books reached at least one million readers.
(view on the map)
997 Bowling Green
KY, USA
Marker reads, Founded in 1796 by Robert Moore who built cabin at the Big Spring located here. This spring water was nucleus around which the town grew. Moore, his brother, George, and James Stewart posted bond of 1,000 English pounds to establish town in 1797. First courts met in Moores home. Named Bolin Green, 1798, traditionally because of bowling grounds located on site.
(view on the map)
1665 McFadins Station
KY, USA
Marker reads, First settlement in Warren County, 1/4 mi. east, was on north side of Barren River near mouth of Drakes Creek. Andrew McFadden, Rev. War soldier from N.C., surveyed area and established station, 1785. It was a popular stopover on Cumberland Trace. Emmett Logan, a Louisville Times editor, once owned land where station stood. Henry Watterson was frequent visitor to his home.
(view on the map)
1573 Old Stagecoach Shop
KY, USA
Marker reads, Built in 1841 by Samuel Murrell, this house was a well-known inn and stagecoach stop on Louisville-Nashville road until the L&N Railroad was completed in 1859. This property previously belonged to Susannah Henry Madison, wife of General Thomas Madison and sister of Patrick Henry. She was buried here and was later moved to a cemetery in Smiths Grove.
(view on the map)
1024 Civil War Occupations
KY, USA
Marker reads, Threatened by Union forces to the west, CSA, who had occupied city five months and fortified hills, planned to evacuate Feb. 14, 1862. Other Federals came from north and bombarded from across the river. CSA set fire to depot and warehouses, as planned, night of 13th. Federals resumed bombardment next day, but ceased and entered city when informed CSA had gone.
(view on the map)
1792 Jacob Skiles and Three Springs
KY, USA
Marker reads,Pioneer merchant Skiles started to KY. in 1790 by Ohio River flatboat, surviving Indian capture en route. He settled in Bowling Green, 1803, and later moved to Three Springs on the Cumberland Trace. Here he established a thriving mercantile business. Skiles died, 1816. Three Springs declined as an area trade center in 1820s when travel was diverted through Bowling Green.
(view on the map)
1049 Baker Hill
KY, USA
Marker reads, One of nine hills fortified by CSA making Bowling Green a strong Confederate defense center, 1861. Feb. 14, 1862, day after CSA left the area, USA forces in command of Gen. Ormsby Mitchell bombarded the town from here. It continued until a civilian bearing flag of truce advised Federals CSA had gone. Residence on hilltop used as hospital by USA to end of war.
(view on the map)
1051 College Hill
KY, USA
Marker reads, Now known as Reservoir Hill, one of nine key fortifications of CSA defense during 1861 Civil War occupation of Bowling Green. Felled trees with sharpened ends were placed as cavalry barriers. Stones from a college building under construction went into the fortifications. The Bowling Green system was manned by approximately 4,000 Confederates.
(view on the map)
1063 Old Union Church
KY, USA
Marker reads, Legislative Act of 1795 gave right to 200 acres for each settler in Green River country. This brought many from Carolinas. Among them were Baptists, two preachers, who constituted Union Church in 1795. John Hightower, first pastor, served until 1813. Meeting house shared with other denominations. Services through Civil War while most did not. The present building erected in 1866.
(view on the map)
1831 Home/ Office of Duncan Hines 1941-1959
KY, USA
Marker reads, Authority on restaurants and lodgings in U.S. Born in Bowling Green, 1880. From places visited on business trips, he noted good eating places and inns. That led to annual editions of Adventures in Good Eating and Lodging for a Night. Also authored Vacation Guide and Adventures in Good Cooking. Died in 1959; buried Fairview Cemetery.