Search CommunityWalk:
Create_a_map_small
Mymaps_small



London Panoramas Google Map

(view on the map)
Tower Bridge Panorama
Click to view panorama

Tower Bridge was completed in 1894, after 8 years in construction. The bridge was built to take pressure of London Bridge as the area to its east grew in population.

Built to compliment the Tower of London's gothic architecture, the bridge's unique design the result of a collaboration between Horace Jones, the then City Architect and John Wolfe Barry.

Tower Bridge's colours of red, white and blue are a recent addition, added in 1977 to celebrate the Queen's Silver Jubilee. Previous to the Jubilee the bridge was painted brown.
(view on the map)
Southwark Cathedral
Click to view panorama

South Cathedrals fulls title is The Cathedral Church of St Saviour and St Mary Overie. A church has stood on the site for over 1000 years with the first church founded by Mary Overie in the 7th Century.

The building in its present form dates in part from 1220.
(view on the map)
Temple Bar/St Pauls Cathedral Panorama
Click to view panorama

Temple Bar is the last remaining gate of the old City of London. Built by Christopher Wren in 1672, Temple Bar divided Fleet Street and the City of London from the Strand and Westminster. It is infamous as it used to display the decapitated heads of traitors.


It was dismantled from its original location in 1878 and re-erected ten years later in Herefordshire after being purchased by Lady Meux. In 2004 it was moved back to the City of London and now stands between Paternoster Square and St Pauls Cathedral.

(view on the map)
Chartlotte Street
Click to view panorama


Charlotte Street is north of Oxford Street and Soho in a region known as Fitzrovia. The name comes from the Fitzroy Tavern (pictured on the corner in the panorama) which was the location for meetings of a number of writers and artists in the area. This name was coined by a group of writers who met at the Fitzroy Tavern at No.16 Charlotte Street between the wars.

The pub, originally the Fitzroy Coffee House, opened in its present form in 1919. Former customers, who coined the name Fitzrovia include including George Orwell, Dylan Thomas, Augustus John and Jacob Epstein.
(view on the map)
Covent Garden
Click to view panorama


Covent Garden it characterised by its street entertainers, cafes, markets and small unique shops. Close to Leicester Square, it is one of the major tourist areas of London.

The name Covent Garden is derived from its history as a garden of the convent of the Abbey of St Paul. The St Paul's garden supplied nearby Westminster Abbey with fresh produce.

Dominating the west side of Covent Garden is St Paul's Parish Church, serving the Parish of Covent Garden. The Parish boundaries were changed in 1986 to incorporate the Parishes of Holy Trinity, Kingsway and St John, Drury Lane.

The Church was built as a result of the Earl of Bedford, in 1631 requiring the building of four streets to converege onto a square with a chapel and mansions. The design was carried out by Inigo Jones and the church was completed in 1633.

Nowadays the Church front plays host to street entertainers on the main square, over looked by the Punch and Judy pub it is the perfect location for a coffee or a pint in London.

(view on the map)
Covent Garden Market
Click to view panorama

At the centre of Covent Garden is the glass covered Piazza, home to many shops and restaurants. The original site was designed in 1638 by Indigo Jones, with its arcaded walks based on the Piazza D` Arme at Livorno.

The site first became a market place in 1671 and has remained in that role ever since. The market on the current site dates back to 1830, rebuilt by the 6th Duke of Bedford.

The architecture from this period remains intact and provides a splendid backdrop to the wider area of Covent Garden.
(view on the map)
St Giles in the Field
Click to view panorama

The history of the site of St Giles in the Field dates back to 1101 with the foundation of a leper hospital. The chapel of the hospital remained when the leper treatment closed in 1547, it is at this time that the site became known as St Giles in the Fields.

The current church on the site dates back to 1730, designed by the architect Henry Flitcroft. Differing in style to Wren's work in the City of London the church was completed in 1734 and provides a unique contrast to the Centre Point building across the way.
(view on the map)
British Telecom Tower
Click to view panorama

Construction of the British Telecom Tower started in 1961, designed by Chief Architect, Eric Bedford and Senior Architect in Charge, G.R.Yeats. Opened in 1964 the tower stands the 189m (620ft) to dominate the skyline of north central London.

At the time of opening the tower was the tallest building in the United Kingdom and remained so until the Natwest Tower was completed in 1980. The towers main role is one of communications, relaying radio, satellite, television and telephone signals around the country.
(view on the map)
Trafalgar Square
Click to view panorama


Trafalgar Square was designed in the 1840's on the site of the then Kings's Mews. Central to the square is Nelsons Column, paid for by the Nelson Memorial Committee, it stands 170 foot high.

Lord Nelson was the admiral of the British fleet at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. Nelson thwarted Napoleon's plans to invade England and destroyed the French naval power, ensuring the dominance of the British navy.

The north side of the square is home to the National Gallery. The Gallery was built between 1832-1838 drawing inspiration from Wilkin's previous work on the newly instated University College London.
(view on the map)
Leicester Square Park
Click to view panorama

he garden in Leicester Square was purchased and landscaped by Albert Grant a Member of Parliament in the 19th century. It was conveyed by him to the Metropolitan Board of Works on the 2nd July 1874 to be preserved for ever for the free use and enjoyment of the public.

At the heart of the garden is a statue of William Shakespeare placed as the centre piece of a fountain which transcribes the history of the area. Opposite William Shakespeare is a statue of Charlie Chaplin, in line with the Empire Cinema, located on the north side of the square.
(view on the map)
Empire Leicester Square
Click to view panorama

The Empire Leicester Square opened on the 8th November 1928 with the silent film 'Trewlawny of the Wells.' Owned by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer it has been at the heart of London's Cinema history since the first moving pictures were shown in the old Empire, a music hall that pre-dates the current site.

The Cinema was renovated in 1962 and is currently run by United Cinemas International. Inside the cinema remains a testament to the days of grand cinemas, a era lost with the development of the multi-plex.
(view on the map)
Woman in White - Palace Theatre
Click to view panorama

The Palace Theatre is currently host to the Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical the Woman in White. The show opened at the theatre in 2004 after Les Miserables closed at The Palace after a 18 year run.

The theatre opened in 1891 as Opera House but shortly after changed with the times to a music hall in 1892. Designed by T.E. Collcutt and G.H. Holloway the Theatre has a seating capacity of 1400 and is currently a Grade II Listed Building.
(view on the map)
University College London
Click to view panorama

University College London was founded on February 11th 1826, the third University in the United Kingdom after Oxford and Cambridge.

The Universities main building, pictured in this panorama, was designed by William Wilkins and constructed between 1827 and 1828. The building is centered on a Corinthian portico which is reminiscent of the British Museum, (constructed a couple of years earlier).

After the building of University College London Wilkins went to design the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square.
(view on the map)
Tavistock Sqaure
Click to view panorama

Tavistock Square contains a small shaded park in the Bloomsbury sector of London. The panorama is taken at the central feature of the park - a statue of Mahatma Gandhi. The statue has been in the park since 1968 and was designed by Fredda Brilliant.

The park also contains trees planted to commemorate the victims of the Hiroshima bombing and a Conscientious Objectors' memorial.

It is a quiet place to sit and the panorama displays a distinct contrast to the scene in July 2005 when a bus was blown up on the square just a few metres from the park.
(view on the map)
Euston Station
Click to view panorama


Euston station is the first view of London for over 51 million people a year, it is neither grand like King Cross St Pancras or unique like Marylebone, indeed it is typical of 1960's architecture.

The original Euston station opened in 1837 but was completely rebuilt in conjunction with the electrification of the West Coast Main Line between 1963 and 1968, thus its appearance in contrast to other London mainline station. Two Portland stone entrance lodges and the war memorial still survive from the old station but these are situated away from the main entrance on Euston Road.
(view on the map)
Westminster Cathedral
Click to view panorama

Westminster Cathedral is hidden away near between Victoria and Westminster in London. It is a building in direct contrast to Westminster Abbey with its Byzantine style architecture of the eastern Roman Empire, compared to Westminster Abbeys Gothic.

The Cathedral was built between 1895 and 1903 on the designs of architect John Bentley. The panorama is taken directly outside the Cathedral which is a through route for commuters arriving at London's Victoria Station and walking to Westminster.
(view on the map)
The Burghers of Calais Panorama, Victoria Tower
Click to view panorama


The panorama captures the opposite end of the Palace of Westminster and Victoria Tower. The Tower holds the Parliamentary Archives and was specific built for that purpose after the 1834 fire destroyed the Palace and most House of Commons records.

Dominating the gardens is the The Burghers of Calais (Les Bourgeois de Calais), one of the most famous sculptures by Auguste Rodin. It is a copy of the original sculpture which stands in Calais and was erected in 1914. The sculpture depicts the residents of Calais who surrendered to Edward III in 1347, during the Hundred Years War between Britain and France.
(view on the map)
Robert Clive Statue Whitehall
Click to view panorama


The panorama centers on the statue of Robert Clive located off Whitehall, London, next to the Cabinet War Rooms. Robert Clive is controversially known for laying the foundations of the British empire in India, where he got the name "conqueror of India". As a employee of the East India Company, Clive arrived in India in 1743 and secured British rule by defeating the then French occupiers.
(view on the map)
Houses of Parliament
Click to view panorama

An example of Gothic Architecture the Houses of Parliament were constructed between 1840 and 1888. The panorama is taken outside the main tower near Westminster Bridge and the River Thames. The tower stands 320 foot tall and is named after the largest bell, 'Big Ben' which weighs over 13 tons, and was cast in 1858 at the Whitechapel Bell Foundry in East London.
(view on the map)
Westminster Abbey
Click to view panorama

Westminster Abbey is a work of outstanding architecture, constructed between the 13th and 16th centuries. The Abbey has been the location for numours Royal Weddings as well as every Coronation since 1066. The building as it is today features the west towers which were completed to the designs of Sir Christopher Wren and Nicholas Hawksmoor.

Recently filming of the Da Vinci Code was refused by the Church at Westminster, Lincon Catherdral takes its place in the forthcoming film.
(view on the map)
Hays Galleria
Click to view panorama

Hays Galleria is tucked along side the river between London and Tower Bridge. A mix of small boutiques, coffee shops, bars and restaurants it is a place to browser and relax as part of a river side walk in London.

The galleria is spanned by a steel and glass roof which covers the original Hay's Wharf - built in the 1850's and a centre point for river trade in London.

David Kemp's sculpture 'Navigators' dominates the centre, a nautical sculpture which captures the wharfs link to the river.
(view on the map)
Centre Point
Click to view panorama

Centre Point stands at 117m on the junction of Oxford Street and Charing Cross Road in London. The building, completed in 1967, is made out of pre-cast concrete and at the time held the honour of the worlds tallest concrete tower. The building is a controversial landmark in London with its unique architecture. Despite its appearance it is now a Grade II listed building.
(view on the map)
Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis
Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis This marker is included as its the location of the lab providing the panoramas and creating the map links within Community Walk. The hotlink provides further details on research and updates.
(view on the map)
Leadenhall Market
Click to view panorama

Leadenhall Market is a covered Victorian structure housing a unique range of shops, produce and small boutiques. Designed by Sir Horace Jones in 1881 it has been a site of trading since the 14th Century.
(view on the map)
Greater London Authority - City Hall
Click to view panorama

City Hall is home to the Mayor of London, the London Assembly and the GLA, who in July 2002 became tenants of this striking rounded glass building on the south bank of the Thames near Tower Bridge. Members of the public may visit parts of City Hall Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm and on occasional weekends.
(view on the map)
30 St Mary Axe
Click to view panorama

The Swiss Re building, more formally known as 30 St Mary Axe, was completed in 2003 and officially opened in 2004. At 180m its inspiration can be traced back to the Willis Faber and Dumas Headquarters built in 1975 by Fosters and Partners.
(view on the map)
Seven Dials
Click to view panorama

Seven Dials dates back to 1692 when plans for the area were submitted to Sir Christopher Wren, the then Surveyor-General for London. The area is based around 7 streets cumulating in a star shape around the Sun Dial - thus the name Seven Dials.

The original Sun Dial was designed by the architect and stonemason Edward Pierce. It remained on the site until 1773 when it was demolished to remove a gathering point for undesirables.

In 1984 funding was raised to rebuild the dial signaling the regeneration of the area.
(view on the map)
Broadgate Arena
Click to view panorama

Broadgate Estates adjoins Liverpool Street Station in London, providing office, retail and leisure space. In the centre is Broadgate Arena which is described on other websites as a 'spectacular amphitheatre and is a focus of activity throughout the year'. Some could say that its marketing speak, take a look at the panorama and make up your own mind...
(view on the map)
Paddington Basin
Click to view panorama

Paddington Basin is regenerating the local area. Providing both residential, office and retail space it is transforming the previously run down inner city site.

The master plan for the area was drawn up by Richard Rogers in 2001 with completion due in the late 2000's.