L Trolley Tour

Lucy Craft Laney Museum of Black History

1116 Phillips St
Richmond County, GA, 30901 US
Miss Lucy Craft Laney has gone down in history as one of the state of Georgia's most influential educational leaders. As a child of Georgia she is in league with other outstanding black hero's from Georgia such as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Civil Rights Leader and Dr. Henry McNeil Turner, the first black chaplain in the U.S. Army and the first black in the Georgia Legislature. Miss Laney's contributions in the area of education are a tribute to perseverance, dedication and unwavering faith.
directions Directions

Nelson Home/ John and Rosa Tutt Home/ Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.

1108 Phillips St
Richmond County, GA, 30901 US
For over six decades, John Tutt educated Augusta´s youth at the Haines Normal and Industrial Institute and Lucy Craft Laney High School. After graduating from Lincoln University in 1905, Tutt returned to Augusta to teach Mathematics. Coach Tutt´s teams amassed hundreds of wins in football, basketball, baseball, and track and field-many against college and semi-professional teams. He was a founding member of the Southern Coaches and Officials Association (est. 1922) and was instrumental in organizing its members into a cohesive group of African-American officials prepared to officiate within the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference and elsewhere. John Tutt lived at this location from 1928-1968.
directions Directions

Bohler Home

1102 Phillips St
Augusta, GA, 30901 US
At the corner of Hopkins and Phillips Streets and across from Laney High School sits a large single family home built in 1926 and occupied by the Bohler Family. The Bohler family is best known for Lt. Henry Bohler who was an Augusta native and a graduate of the prominent Haines Normal and Industrial Institute. Henry would become the first African American pilot in the United States Military as part of the Tuskegee Airmen. The Bohler family still occupies the home and its condition is fair with the typical attention needed to various systems throughout the house, including a fresh coat of paint. The Lucy Craft Laney Museum of Black History has remained in contact with the family in an effort to help with preservation of this community landmark and to bring awareness to its rich history and prominent history makers who called Augusta home.

Source: Historic Augusta, Inc.
directions Directions

Pearson Home/ Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.

1247 Laney Walker Blvd
Augusta, GA, 30901 US
directions Directions

Laney-Walker Walk of Fame, historical markers erected by Augusta Historical Monument Society

1116 Phillips St
Augusta, GA, 30901 US
Lucy Craft Laney
Miss Lucy Craft Laney has gone down in history as one of the state of Georgia's most influential educational leaders. As a child of Georgia she is in league with other outstanding black hero's from Georgia such as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Civil Rights Leader and Dr. Henry McNeil Turner, the first black chaplain in the U.S. Army and the first black in the Georgia Legislature. Miss Laney's contributions in the area of education are a tribute to perseverance, dedication and unwavering faith.

Haines Normal and Industrial Institute
Established by influential educator Lucy Craft Laney, the Haines Normal and Industrial Institute was chartered in 1886 and grew to include a Kindergarten to Junior College curriculum, the Lamar School of Nursing, and a teacher training program. Named for a benefactor Francine Haines, the Institute also served the African-American community as cultural center before its replacement in 1949 with the present Laney High School. The Cauley-Wheeler Building (1924), located in the center of campus, housed the primary school and was named for philanthropist Alice Wheeler of New York and her nurse Mary Cauley, a Lamar graduate. It is the last remaining building from the original Haines Campus.

John McClinton Tutt, 1886-1986
For over six decades, John Tutt educated Augusta´s youth at the Haines Normal and Industrial Institute and Lucy Craft Laney High School. After graduating from Lincoln University in 1905, Tutt returned to Augusta to teach Mathematics. Coach Tutt´s teams amassed hundreds of wins in football, basketball, baseball, and track and field-many against college and semi-professional teams. He was a founding member of the Southern Coaches and Officials Association (est. 1922) and was instrumental in organizing its members into a cohesive group of African-American officials prepared to officiate within the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference and elsewhere. John Tutt lived at this location from 1928-1968.
directions Directions

Former Haines Normal and Industrial Institute and Gravesite of Educator Lucy Craft Laney

1339 Laney Walker Blvd
Richmond County, GA, 30901 US
Established by influential educator Lucy Craft Laney, the Haines Normal and Industrial Institute was chartered in 1886 and grew to include a Kindergarten to Junior College curriculum, the Lamar School of Nursing, and a teacher training program. Named for a benefactor Francine Haines, the Institute also served the African-American community as cultural center before its replacement in 1949 with the present Laney High School. The Cauley-Wheeler Building (1924), located in the center of campus, housed the primary school and was named for philanthropist Alice Wheeler of New York and her nurse Mary Cauley, a Lamar graduate. It is the last remaining building from the original Haines Campus.
directions Directions

Paine College Campus & replica home of author Frank Yerby

1235 15th Street
Augusta, Ga,
Paine College was founded by the leadership of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, now United Methodist Church, and the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church, now Christian Methodist Episcopal Church. Paine was the brainchild of Bishop Lucius Henry Holsey, who first expressed the idea for the College in 1869. Bishop Holsey asked leaders in the ME Church South to help establish a school to train Negro teachers and preachers so that they might in turn appropriately address the educational and spiritual needs of the people newly freed from the evils of slavery. Leaders in the ME Church South agreed, and Paine Institute came into being.

Frank Yerby a native of Augusta received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Paine College in 1937 and in 1938 he received a Master’s of Arts degree from Fisk University in Nashville, Tenn. As a student at Paine College, Yerby wrote the Paine College Hymn also known as the Paine College Alma Mater. During his career as an author Yerby published more than thirty novels. He was the first African American to write a best-selling novel and to have a book purchased by a Hollywood studio for a film adaptation.
directions Directions

Beulah Grove Baptist Church

1434 Poplar Street
Augusta, GA, 30901 US
When it separated from the Mount Sinai Baptist Church of Augusta, Georgia in 1914, the Beulah Grove Baptist Church was founded and established under the pioneering efforts of:

Reverend John Henry Evans, Deacons and Messrs. Joe Peaks, J.R. Oliphant, Walter Martin, and Richard Coates; Deacon Hillary Holloway; Mr. and Mrs. Tom Thomas, Mr. and Mrs. Wesley Me Crary; Mrs. Anna Demmons; and Messrs. Milledge Coates, Elliot Robinson, and Hardy Higgins. She was originally located on 15th Street in Augusta, where the Williams Memorial C.M.E. Church is presently located.
directions Directions

C. T. Walker Magnet School

C.T. Walker Traditional Magnet School has a long proud history dating back to 1934. The school originally housed grades one through seven and was built to relieve overcrowding and population shifts for both black and white students in Richmond County. The building was constructed with federal financial assistance through the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The school opened with an enrollment of 1500; this was 500 more than building specifications.

As the schools were integrated in Richmond County in the early 1970's, student enrollment patterns changed. Consequently, C.T. Walker's enrollment decreased to less than 500 students. Court-ordered busing was instituted to ensure racial balances in student population and to remedy fluctuating enrollment patterns. This made it possible for students from all areas of the county to attend C.T. Walker.
directions Directions

Mt. Calvary Baptist Church (original and new structures)

1260 Wrightsboro Road
Augusta, Georgia,
directions Directions

The United House of Prayer for All People and Bailey Pocket Community

1269 Wrightsboro Road
Augusta, GA, 30901 US
directions Directions

Antioch Baptist Church

Antioch has a prolific history that began when it was organized April 10, 1878, by its first five members: Brothers Abram Williams, John Bryant, Mark Bennett and Sisters Lena Bennett and Ira Green. The organization was effected by the Reverend Henry Roundtree, May Cartridge, G. R. Gibson and Deacon Samuel Ketch.

Antioch has had five buildings in three locations (two structures destroyed by fire) and ten pastors between 1878-2016. The first structure was located on Gwinnett Street (now known as Laney-Walker Boulevard), between Irwin Towers and the railroad.
directions Directions

Laney- Walker and Bethlehem Communities

The Laney Walker/Bethlehem project is resulting in two historic neighborhoods coming together to regenerate an important part of Augusta's urban core - a transformation few people ever imagined.

The revitalization of Laney Walker/Bethlehem got its start in 2008, when the Augusta Commission passed legislation that established funding strategies for community development in Laney Walker/Bethlehem. The goal is to turn around decades of blight and disinvestment and regenerate nearly 1,100 acres of Augusta's urban center.

15th STREET REDEVELOPMENT
Dyess Park Canal Village
Heritage Pine Subdivision
Judicial Center & Courthouse (Augusta Judicial Center & John H. Ruffin, Jr. Courthouse)
The Foundry Place
Twiggs Circle
directions Directions

Reverend C.T. Walker Home

1011 Laney Walker Blvd
Augusta, GA, 30901 US
At the beginning of the 20th century, the Rev. C.T. Walker boldly demanded that America's black citizens have equal status with whites.

A stirring preacher who attracted America's presidents and business leaders such as John D. Rockefeller to hear his sermons, Walker inspired thousands to convert to Christianity. He also formed one of the prominent churches in Augusta while making efforts in both business and journalism. In the process, Charles Thomas Walker became one of the most recognized names in America a century ago.
directions Directions

Former Location of Immaculate Conception Church and Academy

Laney Walker Blvd
Augusta, GA, 30901 US
Not many schools can boast the kind of history Immaculate Conception Catholic School, Augusta, possesses. Now the parish school of Most Holy Trinity Catholic Church, Immaculate Conception’s roots go back to the early 1900s when Missionary Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception (MFIC) opened a boarding school for girls at Saint Benedict’s convent on 17th Street.

In 1913, the Society of African Missions (SMA) Fathers who had built and dedicated Immaculate Conception Church and School at the corner of Laney Walker Boulevard and 11th Street, asked the Sisters to bring their boarding school students and initiate a new, larger teaching mission. From this early beginning until 1967, Immaculate Conception remained an integral part of Augusta’s African-American community. The superior education it provided for both Catholics and non-Catholics produced generations of informed Catholics as well as many converts to the church. The Franciscan Sisters staffed the school throughout this period. In 1967, the Diocese of Savannah made the decision to close Immaculate Conception High School, but to continue to operate Immaculate Conception Grammar School.
directions Directions

Penny Savings and Loan Bank Building

1114 James Brown Blvd
Richmond County, GA, 30901 US
The Penny Savings Loan and Investment Company was incorporated September 10, 1910 by several prominent African American businessmen in Augusta. The building that currently occupies the corner of James Brown Boulevard (formerly Campbell Street or 9th Street) and Laney-Walker Boulevard (then known as Gwinnett Street) was constructed in 1925 based on designs by architect G. Lloyd Preacher. The company operated for 18 years in this pivotal location in the neighborhood until 1928 when the business closed its doors due to the downward financial trend and subsequent depression. The Penny Savings Bank Building anchored the southern end of the block, with the now razed Lenox Theater at the southern end. With other thriving businesses, these contributed to the area known as the “Golden Blocks” of Augusta’s African American business district. This three-story masonry building was partially rehabilitated in 1990 using Community Block Development Grants and other private funding as part of the “Armstrong Galleria.” But the development has languished since that time, and Penny Savings has been vacant for a number of years. After it was purchased by Augusta-Richmond County through the Augusta Land Bank Authority in 2011, the city issued a “Request for Proposals” in 2012 for the development of two key buildings within the Bethlehem and Laney Walker neighborhoods, the Penny Savings Bank Building and the St. Benedict’s Boarding School on Twelfth Street. With no proposals accepted, the future of the historic Penny Savings Bank Building is uncertain. Its visibility and well-documented significance within the neighborhood will hopefully aid in a successful preservation solution and redevelopment of the historic resource.

Source: Historic Augusta, Inc.
directions Directions

Former Location of Burruss Sanitarium

1203 9th St
Augusta, GA, 30901 US
When City Hospital (later to become University) barred African American physicians, they opened small infirmaries and hospitals in the neighborhood, such as Dr. George Burruss’s Sanitarium and later Bruce Hospital, founded by Dr. S.S. Johnson.
directions Directions

Former Location of Lenox Theater

The grandest entertainment space was the Lenox Theater on 9th Street (now James Brown Boulevard). Designed by Augusta architect G. Lloyd Preacher, creator of many other landmark buildings in Augusta, the theater seated almost 600 on the ground floor and 300 in the balcony. There African Americans could enjoy live performances as well as “moving pictures’’ without having to enter through a Jim Crow door or sit in the balcony unless they chose to do so. The theater was the only place where patrons could see movies with all black casts. The Lenox also hosted fundraisers for charitable institutions and even political meetings.
directions Directions

Former Location of Lam Brothers Grocery

1026 D'Antignac St
Augusta, GA, 30901 US
Mr. Lam opened the store with his father and brother shortly after they moved to America in 1941. After his father and brother moved on to other pursuits, Mr. Lam managed the store on his own. At times he had to work 24-hour days to keep things running smoothly.

Mr. Lam also worked to help Chinese people become American citizens and was given an award from the Daughters of the American Revolution for his efforts in 1972
directions Directions

Carpenter’s Upholstery Shop

925 D'Antignac St
Augusta, GA, 30901 US
directions Directions

Harmony Baptist Church, Second Home of Morehouse College

928 Hopkins Street
Augusta, Georgia, USA
Harmony Baptist Church was organized in the city of Augusta, Georgia, in the spring of 1868 by Reverend William Jefferson White; the name “Harmony” was given to this group of Christian workers at the Springfield Baptist Church of Augusta.

Harmony’s origin started in the southern part of town in a grove and today, worship is held in the beautiful structure located at 930 Hopkins Street which was erected in 1990.
directions Directions

Former Location of Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church

9th St
Augusta, GA, 30901 US
directions Directions

Augusta-Richmond County Judicial Center and Judge John H. Ruffin Courthouse

735 James Brown Blvd
Richmond County, GA, 30901 US
John H. Ruffin, Jr., 1994-2008
Chief Judge: 2005-2006

Presiding Judge John H. Ruffin, Jr. became the 62nd Judge of the Court of Appeals of Georgia when he was administered the oath of office by Governor Zell Miller on August 24, 1994, after 33 years of practicing law and serving on the superior court bench. Judge Ruffin was appointed a Superior Court Judge of the Augusta Judicial Circuit in 1986 by Governor Joe Frank Harris. He was elected without opposition in 1988 and continued to serve as Superior Court Judge until his appointment to the Court of Appeals.

In addition to being the first African-American Superior Court Judge for the Augusta Judicial Circuit, Judge Ruffin was also the first African-American member of the Augusta Bar Association, and the third African-American and first African-American Chief Judge to serve on the Court of Appeals of Georgia. Judge Ruffin was born and reared in Waynesboro, Burke County, Georgia, the son of John H. Ruffin, Sr. and Anna Davis Ruffin. Judge Ruffin is a graduate of Waynesboro High and Industrial School. He attended and graduated from Morehouse College and Howard University School of Law in Washington, D.C. Judge Ruffin was admitted to the Georgia Bar on July 5, 1961.
directions Directions

Rev. Silas X. Floyd/ Rev. A.C. Griggs Home/ Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.

1012 12th St
Richmond County, GA, 30901 US
directions Directions

Saint Marys Episcopal Church

1114 12th Street
Augusta, Georgia, USA
directions Directions

Former Pilgrim Health and Life Insurance Company Headquarters and Civic Room

1143 Laney Walker Blvd
Richmond County, GA, 30901 US
directions Directions

Tabernacle Baptist Church and Gravesite of Rev. C.T. Walker

1223 Laney-Walker Blvd
Augsuta, Georgia, 30901 USA
directions Directions

Tabernacle Family Life Center and Former Location of Luvenia’s School of Beauty Culture

1223 Laney Walker Blvd
Augusta, GA, 30901 US
directions Directions

A. R. Johnson Health Science and Engineering Magnet High School

directions Directions

Springfield Village and Central Business District

directions Directions

James Brown Statue at Augusta Commons

directions Directions
format_list_bulleted
Show List
place
Toggle Marker Titles
add_location
Add A Marker
help
Hide/Show Tooltips
Close

Augusta Black Heritage Trolley Tour

Add New Marker To Map

You're marker will not be seen by anyone else. It will only be displayed on this device.

Address or Search:

Get Directions

directions Get Directions
pin_drop Add Destination
add_location Add Marker