Frank L. Gillespie's Liberty Life Insurance Company, one of the first black-owned insurance companies, moved into this builing in 1921. Eight years later, Liberty Life merged with two other companies to become Supreme Life Insurance. Many of its executives used their positions in the company to become community advocates and civil rights activists. In addition, Claude A. Barnett, who was on the board of Supreme Life Insurance, kept the offices of his Associated Negro Press in this building. Barnett's ANP was the largest wire service for the national network of African-American newspapers. Between 1919 and 1964, the ANP provided a packet of political and cultural news that was often not otherwise covered in white-owned newspapers.