Founded by Robert S. Abbott in 1905, the Chicago Defender became nationally known for its outspoken civil rights demands. During the "Great Migration," Pullman Porters spread the paper throughout the South, encouraging blacks to take advantage of the greater freedom and economic opportunities available in cities like Chicago. Built in 1899 as a Jewish synagogue, this building housed the Defender from 1920 to 1960. The Defender moved to the old Illinois Automobile Club building at 2400 S. Michigan in the 1960s. In 2006, the Defender moved into a new office on the 17th floor of the building at 200 South Michigan Avenue.