The church began on a 40 acre piece of land acquired from the Government and added on a few more acres donated by a certain mr. De. Souza. The first baptisms and mass in the place took place on Xmas Day, 1853 in an attap chapel. It was later changed into a brick chapel and named "Church of St. mary".The current Gothic style church was built in 1901 by Fr. Saleilles and consecrated on Dec 8, 1901 on the feast of the Immaculate Conception.