Constructed in 1821, Historic Fort Gaines is located on the East End of the Island on Mobile Bay. It was one of the primary Confederate forts guarding the entrance to the bay. Admiral Farragut ("Damn the torpedoes. Full speed ahead!") ran his fleet past the forts in the Battle of Mobile Bay, August 5, 1864. The entire battle campaign lasted from August 2 to August 23, 1864.