In 1887, this school was named for the recently deceased Elihu B. Washburne, a former U.S. Representative, Secretary of State under President Ulysses S. Grant, and President of the Chicago Historical Society (1884-87). The school served elementary grades until 1919, when it became the Washburne Trade and Continuation School. The accompanying 1912 photograph shows a group of mothers watching a nurse demonstrate lessons in child care at the school. In 1958, the school relocated to a thirteen-building site at 31st and Kedzie. See: Washburne Trade School. See: Washburne Trade School .