Ushaw Moor is an ex-coal mining village three miles west of the Historic City of Durham and a short distance to the South of Bearpark.
Parish registers suggests that the settlement dates to a least the sixteenth century. The village existed in a largely agricultural state, with a windmill being its one feature up till the nineteenth century.
Ushaw College is located to the north of the village a Roman Catholic seminary and one of the constituent colleges of the University of Durham. It moved to Ushaw Moor in 1808, on the initiative of Bishop Gibson. It was originally founded at Douai in France in 1568.