Create_a_map_small
Mymaps_small



Midcentury Marvels of Phoenix

95 locations featured in the publication Midcentury Marvels by Ryden Architects and City of Phoenix Historic Preservation. Order the book at https://www.phoenix.gov/pdd/historic/order-historic-preservation-books and view full map of midcentury design valleywide at http://www.communitywalk.com/modernphoenix
(view on the map)
Palms Theater
N Central Ave & W Cambridge Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85004, US
(view on the map)
Katz's Deli (Postino Central)
5144 N Central Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85012, US
Renovated 2009.
(view on the map)
Parlor
1916 E Camelback Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85016, US
Original location of Salon De Venus. Rebuilt in 2009 using much of the same material and many of the same fixtures, etc.
(view on the map)
Paul Johnson Jewelers Building
1940 E Camelback Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85016, US
Now Law Offices of Caldwell and Ober
(view on the map)
Cine Capri Theater
2424 E Camelback Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85016, US
1964 by Haver & Nunn. Demolished 1998. Phoenix's most luxurious Cinerama theater was built as the second phase of what was intended to be a larger development.
(view on the map)
Helsing's Coffee Shop
Another location was located at Central and Camelback.
(view on the map)
Kon Tiki Hotel
2364 E Van Buren St
Phoenix, AZ 85006, US
The last and greatest of the hotels and motels on Van Buren. "A little bit of Waikiki in the heart of Phoenix." It was as nice as any hotel in town, and it marked the end of an era. Jet airplanes had arrived at Sky Harbor and Van Buren was already in decline. A postcard that describes the Kon Tiki as follows: Fabulous Polynesean atmosphere in the midst of Phoenix. Only minutes to all business and points of interest. One "short mile" from Phoenix Sky-harbor Airport. Complete hotel services with personal attention, and Kon Tiki enjoys the City's most wonderful food by the valley's finest chef -- Come to the Kon Tiki and take away a life long memory.
(view on the map)
Read Mullan Ford Showroom
1960. Demolished 2009. Was once the corner-stone of automobile dealership row in post-war Phoenix.
(view on the map)
First Federal Savings / Washburn Piano
The award winning Modernist building was demolished in 2007 to make way for another stucco clad building. .
(view on the map)
4747 Building
4747 N 16th St
Phoenix, AZ 85016, US
1960. First building in Phoenix designed with fully covered tenant parking. Provided completely refrigerated office space and maximum flexibility of office sizes and layouts. Utilized waffle slab and column construction to produce prime office space at modest cost.
(view on the map)
Vlassis Ruzow & Associates Office
1545 W Thomas Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85015, US
1974. Remarkable imagery of steel and glass floating above the earth. Reminiscent of the Farnsworth House in Plano, Illinois.
(view on the map)
Dental Office
3132 N 7th St
Phoenix, AZ 85012, US
Designed in the Usonian manner or Wright using bond concrete blocks
(view on the map)
Adelmann House
5802 N 30th St
Phoenix, AZ 85016, US
1951
(view on the map)
David Wright House
5212 E Exeter Blvd
Phoenix, AZ 85018, US
1952. This curved house of concrete block was designed for David Wright, Frank's son.
(view on the map)
Arizona Bank Branch
51 E Camelback Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85012, US
1971. his Modernist Arizona Bank imparts a feeling of local cultural heritage. Curved slump block walls reflect a regional interpretation of the Pueblo Style. Now a Bank of America. (See also 2950 W Peoria Ave).
(view on the map)
Valley National Bank Office
2950 W Peoria Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85029, US
1974. Tom Zimmerman created his own regional interpretation of Modernist architecture. Curved brick walls reflected Pueblo Revival Style and are reminiscent of FLW's Johnson Wax Building. Now a Chase Bank. (See also 51 E Camelback)
(view on the map)
5th Avenue Medical Building
3411 N 5th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85013, US
1967. Award winning building that expanded upon Le Corbusier's idea of a house on stilts. Now the 5th Avenue Professional Building.
(view on the map)
McDonald's
McDonald's 'Golden Arches' drive-up restaurant.
(view on the map)
Helsing's Coffee Shop
Another location was at Central and Osborn
(view on the map)
Bob's Big Boy
1954
(view on the map)
300 Bowl
1919 W Bethany Home Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85015, US
1958. One of the few remaining Googie Style buildings in Phoenix
(view on the map)
Del Webb's TownHouse
100 W Clarendon Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85012, US
Phoenix's first mixed use, high rise tower containing business offices above and a hotel/convention center below.
(view on the map)
Del Webb's Chistown Mall
(view on the map)
Professional Building
15 E Monroe St
Phoenix, AZ 85004, US
Art Moderne style. Pre-war home office for the Valley National Banks
(view on the map)
Farmer's & Stockmens Bank
5001 E Washington St
Phoenix, AZ 85034, US
1950. A modernist hybrid, contrasting desert masonry and a glass curtain wallis a companion to the adjacent building containing the Stockyards restaurant.
(view on the map)
First National Bank of Arizona
1769 Grand Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85007, US
1952. Influenced by Usonian house designs with a low-scaled horizontal roof plane and cantilevered overhangs as well as the use of native fieldstone.
(view on the map)
Valley National Bank
201 W Indian School Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85013, US
1957. Designed by Herman Jacoby, of Weaver and Drover. A aterling example of Phoenix's modernist buildings. Constructed of stone and glass it subtly blends an open floor plan with a green outdoor landscape. Was recently rehabbed and inhabited by Hoskin Ryan Consultants.
(view on the map)
Valley National Bank - Willetta Branch
1505 N 1st St
Phoenix, AZ 85004, US
1954. Winner of the 1955 AIA Arizona Craftsmanship award for the brickwork of this "building that showcases good design and the progressive attitudes of modern Phoenix Bankers.
(view on the map)
Valley National Bank
5041 N 16th St
Phoenix, AZ 85016, US
1956. A bigger version of the 1954 branch bank at 3001 North 24th St. Incorporates International Style design elements to control the dessert environment
(view on the map)
Valley National Bank
6030 N 19th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85015, US
1962. The roof arches resemble those of John Johansen's Warner House. The function of the bank as a storehouse of wealth is represented by the large bas-relief panels portraying the 'money of the world' displayed on the exterior walls.
(view on the map)
The Arizona Bank
6015 N 16th St
Phoenix, AZ 85014, US
1963. Award winning design was described by the AIA as "an entity independent and impervious to its surroundings."

In 2009, the popular Vig restaurant in Arcadia expanded out to create The Vig Uptown .
(view on the map)
Western Savings And Loans
1950 E Camelback Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85016, US
1965. Expands on the characteristic International Style box, with the inclusion of planar walls that shade tall slit windows and provide visual interest. Bas-relief sculptures enhance the facade of the building. Currently a Bank of America branch.
(view on the map)
Valley National Bank
5628 E Thomas Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85251, US
1965. An ingenious Modernist building where the mass and strength of a exposed pre-cast concrete roof structure is mirrored in an inverted arcade.
(view on the map)
First National Bank of Arizona
1 S 24th St
Phoenix, AZ 85034, US
1966. Notable for its four large hexagonal concrete parasols.
(view on the map)
Valley National Bank
4401 E Camelback Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85018, US
1967. VNB President Walter Bimson selected this sophisticated Modernist design by Frank Henry from among five competing submissions. The curvilinear composition of parasols and stone studded walls has stood the test of time. It won the AIA AZ 25 year Award proving to be one of Arizona's most distinguished and beloved Modernist buildings
(view on the map)
First Federal Savings & Loan
5210 N Central Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85012, US
1969. Al Beadle combined the ideals of Mies and Wright into his own expression of New Formalism.
(view on the map)
First National Bank of Arizona - Biltmore Branch
5050 N 24th St
Phoenix, AZ 85016, US
1970. Design by William O. Jette. one of Phoenix's best examples of Brutalism.
(view on the map)
Financial Center Pavilions
3443 N Central Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85012, US
1963.
(view on the map)
Western Savings & Loan
10005 N Metro Pkwy
Phoenix, AZ 85051, US
1974. This unique vase-shape of this once bank branch was designed to be seen from the I-17.
(view on the map)
Financial Center
3443 N Central Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85012, US
1963. Constructed by real estate developer David H. Murdock to "provide the city with a piece of landmark architecture that had never before existed in Phoenix."
(view on the map)
Central Towers
2727 N Central Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85004, US
1959-62. Among the earliest post-war high rise office towers to be constructed along the Central Ave corridor. it was an attempt to create an environmentally responsive interpretation of New Formalism in Phoenix.
(view on the map)
Rosenweig Center
3800 N Central Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85012, US
1992-1971. Land owned by the Rosenweig family of successful jewelers was offered to Del Webb for his corporate headquarters. The project ended up being 18.5 arce development of several buildings and towers all designed by the same firm.
(view on the map)
Arizona Title Building
111 W Monroe St
Phoenix, AZ 85003, US
1963. The Phoenix equivalent to van der Rohe and Johnson's 1958 Segram Building in New York. A fine example of functional aesthetics, it is considered a masterpiece of corporate Modernism.
(view on the map)
Mountain Bell Plaza
3033 N 3rd St
Phoenix, AZ 85014, US
1972. The steel and glass high rise office building was the epitome of Miesean international Style architecture in Phoenix. Demolished 2009.
(view on the map)
Fist National Bank Plaza (Wells Fargo)
100 W Washington St
Phoenix, AZ 85003, US
1971. An example of 'corporate modernism' based loosely on precepts of Brutalism as applied to an international style tower.
(view on the map)
Valley Center (Chase Tower)
201 N Central Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85004, US
1974. the tallest building in Arizona.
(view on the map)
Medical Center
1313 N 2nd St
Phoenix, AZ 85004, US
1949. Similar to the Stockyards restaurant in its combination of the International style with regional influences.
(view on the map)
Dr. Glass Dental Office
3852 N 15th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85015, US
1951. Usonian inspired building similar to the 'textile block' construction system of the Arizona Biltmore. At least three others examples of this unique Usonian style have been identified in Phoenix.
(view on the map)
Conn & Candlin CPA Office
2701 N 7th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85003, US
1962. A direct descendant of Taliesin West.
(view on the map)
Dental Arts
3326 N 3rd Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85013, US
1969. 'Box on silts" design was a popular solution in Phoenix fro providing shaded parking while maximizing the leasable area of an office building.
(view on the map)
Camelback Office
201 E Camelback Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85012, US
1957. A masterful example of the Miesian approach to the International Style.
(view on the map)
Truxal Building
300 E Camelback Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85012, US
1960. The exaggerated Modernist features on the facade give the building a playful character.
(view on the map)
Murdock Professional Building (Stewart Plaza)
240 W Osborn Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85013, US
1958. 19,500 sq ft. An excellent example of the two story courtyard office building design popular at the time for professional and medical offices.

It was the first building in Arizona to comply with building code requirements for earthquake resistance.
(view on the map)
FHA Office Building (Stewart Title)
244 W Osborn Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85013, US
1959. Early project of the David Murdock Development Company for the US Federal Housing Administration and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
(view on the map)
Pacific Mutual Life Insurance Co.
3136 N 3rd Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85013, US
1959. The Modernists character of the building combines the principles of the International Style with those of FLW organic architecture.
(view on the map)
Lescher & Mahoney Office
407 W Osborn Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85013, US
1963. Studio of architects Lescher & Mahoney until Mahoney retired in 1974. The building displays many different modernist principles.
(view on the map)
Mardian Construction Company Headquarters
3815 N Black Canyon Hwy
Phoenix, AZ 85015, US
1965. to honor the firms 25th anniversary, the company built this building to reflect their prode and gratitude to the community. it's New Formalist form is unmistakably inspired by Edward Durell Stone's 1954 US Embassy in New Delhi. it is a rare example of this form of Modernism in Phoenix.
(view on the map)
IBEW Union Hall
5808 N 7th St
Phoenix, AZ 85012, US
1967. Beadle's interpretation of the Miesian International Style was the winner of the 1968 Central Arizona AIA's Award of Merit.
(view on the map)
Hanny's
40 N 1st St
Phoenix, AZ 85004, US
1947. Significant for it's Modernist stylistic treatment and for the use of design as a merchandising technique.
(view on the map)
Pohle Dry Cleaning
3233 E Van Buren St
Phoenix, AZ 85034, US
1946. A progressive International Style building that retains it's character after more than sixty years.
(view on the map)
Paris Laundry & Dry Cleaning
4130 N 7th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85013, US
1957. The roof mounted sign and Googie style boomerang shape of the tilting columns give the building the look of a drive-in restaurant.
(view on the map)
A.J. Bayless Supermarket
2715 W Van Buren St
Phoenix, AZ 85009, US
1950. This early post-war supermarket incorporates the horizontality of Streamlined Moderne with the simplicity of Bauhaus cubist forms.
(view on the map)
Basha's Supermarket
3320 N 7th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85013, US
1956. A good example of a Modernist Style supermarket.
(view on the map)
Lou Regesters Furniture (Copenhagen)
1701 E Camelback Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85016, US
1954. A Southwestern twist to the Contemporary Style.
(view on the map)
Pruitt's
3425 E Thomas Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85018, US
1960. This combination of French Colonial Revival and Classical Revival was rarely seen in mid-century Phoenix.
(view on the map)
Encanto Village Shopping Center
2801 N 15th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85007, US
1946. Bridges the gap from a strip of adjacent store fronts to a three dimensional shopping center. its Spanish Eclectic Style reflects houses in nearby Encanto-Palmcroft.
(view on the map)
Town & Country
2021 E Camelback Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85016, US
1956. The only open air shopping center from the 1950s that has survived with its character intact.
(view on the map)
Miracle Mile Commercial Block
1715 E McDowell Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85006, US
1949-57. First coordinated commercial development outside the downtown core. Addressed the demands of post war motorists.
(view on the map)
Crown Filter Queen
1800 W Van Buren St
Phoenix, AZ 85007, US
1955. This commercial building has been occupied by the same business for over fifty years.
(view on the map)
Bragg's Pies
1301 Grand Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85007, US
1946. A fine example of an international Style commercial building with Streamlined Moderne influences.
(view on the map)
General Sales Company
515 E Grant St
Phoenix, AZ 85004, US
1946. A dignified warehouse that blends Beaux Arts Classicism with Modernist influences.
(view on the map)
Greenwood Memorial Lawn Mauloseum
719 N 27th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85009, US
1965.
(view on the map)
Paradise Chapel
3934 E Indian School Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85018, US
1955. Built during the height of the Ranch Style period.
(view on the map)
Hansen Chapel
8314 N 7th St
Phoenix, AZ 85020, US
1961. An Expressionist Modern from reminiscent of the 1956 Air Force Academy Chapel.
(view on the map)
Doc Dombey's Motor Clinic
4243 N 7th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85013, US
1947. Now known as Chesters Garage.
(view on the map)
Stewart Motor Company
802 N Central Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85003, US
1947. Brought together two modern conveniences that helped generate the explosive growth of post-war period: automobiles and air-conditioning.
(view on the map)
Rudolph Chevrolet
2646 W Camelback Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85017, US
1966. The refined International Style Modernism matched the low key, high style sales methods associated with Rudolph Chevrolet.
(view on the map)
Union Service Station
1742 E McDowell Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85006, US
1950.Steamline Moderne design
(view on the map)
Camelback East Enco Service Station
3940 E Camelback Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85018, US
1969. A Contemporary Style gas station that combines the crisp lines of Modernism with the rustic materials of a traditional residence.
(view on the map)
Rainbow Car Wash
3003 E Indian School Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85016, US
1965.
(view on the map)
West Camelback Car Wash
2550 W Camelback Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85017, US
1967.
(view on the map)
City Center Motel
612 W Van Buren St
Phoenix, AZ 85007, US
1959. A rare surviving example of Googie Style roadside design, this is a fine motel demonstration of Wright's "form and function are one."
(view on the map)
Desert Inn
950 W Van Buren St
Phoenix, AZ 85007, US
1951.
(view on the map)
Egyptian Motor Hotel
765 Grand Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85007, US
1965.
(view on the map)
Imperial '400' Motel
201 N 7th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85007, US
1960. Googie Style roofline.
(view on the map)
Vagabond Hotel
3644 E Van Buren St
Phoenix, AZ 85008, US
1961. A Wright influence Refined Modernist design and materials.
(view on the map)
Green Gables
2345 E Thomas Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85016, US
1946. Fantasy styled Period Revival of an English manor house.
(view on the map)
Stockyards Restaurant
5009 E Washington St
Phoenix, AZ 85034, US
1954. International Style blended with Southwest Overtones.
(view on the map)
Bill Johnson's Big Apple
3757 E Van Buren St
Phoenix, AZ 85034, US
1956. Boomtown facade with rustic Ranch Style materials.
(view on the map)
Corral Drive In
6245 S Central Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85042, US
1952. Best remaining example of a Googie drive-in left in Phoenix.
(view on the map)
Jimmy Jack's
2933 W Van Buren St
Phoenix, AZ 85009, US
1957. An example of the original prototype of the McDonald's fast food stand.
(view on the map)
Durant's
2611 N Central Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85004, US
1947. A low key 'hide-out' purposefully designed to be unnoticeable, yet refined.
(view on the map)
Phoenix Star Theatre
440 N 32nd St
Phoenix, AZ 85008, US
1963. Brutalism in the Round natural concrete theater. (The structural engineer was T. Y. Lin international.)
(view on the map)
Veteran's Memorial Coliseum
1826 W McDowell Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85007, US
1964. w/ T.Y. Lin international
(view on the map)
Turf Paradise
1501 W Bell Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85023, US
1954.it is the modern style of the enormous cantilevered steel roof rather than the architectural style that is the important aspect of the building.